Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why people express anger towards Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nike6

Banned
apparently their products work pretty well for some people.

there are developers who like MSDN, and consider it a good standard,
as well .NET, MSIL, MFC, VB, VS, MSSQL, WinServer, and all that.

it is not just some overpriced softwares put on a few floppies.

they have lab's, and do work on a lot of new technologies, which maybe, people who do not have a close contacts, simply do not know.

they have recently given a lot of free stuff to anyone, such as 25G skydrive online storage, hotmail, popfly, online translator.
their MSN SPACES blogging platform is superior to most services on the internet.

this is reality that LINUX guys do not always see, that there are people who do not have problems with Microsoft, or their products.

sure Media player is a little special, and MS Word, well, I do not use it at all, it is said some people even make web pages using Word.

Attachments

• 3639363781_b1c5be5465.jpg
    3639363781_b1c5be5465.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 264
its more of a claim. I believe it was said that Bill Gates stole Microsoft or something like that. He never made the company or the product that first started his company.

He takes the reward and left his friend in the dust i think. Its more of a ... he cheated his way in type of deal.... He may be smart now but thats because he learned afterward.

I think its something like that.

EDIT:
I have a USB Floppy drive :)

Last edited:
Floppies? Does anyone still use those anymore?

YouTube - backup microcontroller source codes

I do, be it for the purpose to generate waveform.

sometimes accidentially i scrapped essential source codes,
but always have been able of a quick file copy from FDD.

they still sell them everywhere.

I have 6 or 7 broken USB drives, and also 3 or 4 working one's.
they do not last long, either due to memory failure, the shell breaking apart, or even a SMD resistor falling off from the PCB.

Last edited:
Have you been living under rock for the past few years?
So far you have stated a problem that has literally used up millions of pages of comments all over the world, and millions of hours of commentary time. Your overly simplistic view of the problem, is the main problem unto itself...there is no way that a wee little website like this can answer such a horrifically huge question that you have opened. Saying that, Im certain that for every 5 people that HATE Microsoft, you will find a equivalent number of people that love it.
If you have never run across a problem with a overpriced Microsoft product, only to find bare to minimal support for the item, then you are truly a lucky man indeed, or your computing needs are truly basic.
If you want a example of Micosofts foolishness, I can sum it up in one word....VISTA. buggy, memory-wasting foolishness that was in no way an improvement over XP for the AVERAGE EVERYDAY USER, with a average everyday amount of machine space. I was FORCED to buy 3 machines with crap VISTA on it, because they were purchased at the peak of the Vista craze. All I can say is that I chugged along quite nicely fo years with Milenium, then Xp, only to have my computer world turned upside down the day that Visat came into my life....and things havnt got any easier since. Does Microsoft give a Rats-Ass about my problems...after purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of software...whatcha think?

Oh and by the way Nike...how exactly did you get a "Bad" reputation on here?
Ive been trying to get to "Bad" for weeks...and all I can get is "Ok"

I have heard a quick way to do it is to back over Mr.Goodwins Cat with your car...but it seems rather excessive.

Oh and by the way Nike...how exactly did you get a "Bad" reputation on here?
Ive been trying to get to "Bad" for weeks...and all I can get is "Ok"

I have heard a quick way to do it is to back over Mr.Goodwins Cat with your car...but it seems rather excessive.

Well, i wrote something that "did not makes sense".
It was deleted (to be honest I do not grieve about it).

strangely the reputation points that I gained from it still remain.

as for Microsoft, I have never purchased complete computer with pre-installed OS, but have always been able to get OEM versions.
All I had to do was just to purchase one meaningful piece of hardware.

For instance WIN98SE for £35, which is not too bad, together with 128MB or 256MB extra RAM.

well I build one machine and the board lasted a year, then also I was not able to use the 1GB RAM for the new 64bit machine, and had to buy 4GB new RAM.

but blame Microsoft for on-going technical innovation?

Win Server 2008 is similar to Vista, but I guess, better. It can do most of the things that Vista can do.

it costs about $450 as Web Server edition (OEM).

Win 7 starter edition will be $100 or so, but it is not yet available on the free market.

I actually like Microsoft's products, and find good support when developing. MSDN's website is a great place to learn all kinds to tricks and hints. Never really had much of a problem with the OS, but I have stayed w/XP and skipped Vista.

Sure my PC's crashes a couple times a day. Gives me time to make a sandwich and grab a beer :)

Last edited:
Supposedly Mr. Gates wanted a huge tree moved on his property--6 inches from where it used to be.
Imagine working for someone like this.

Can you find people like this in DSM-IV?

Does a company take on the personality of its owner?

I once heard, back in the 90's, that if Bill Gates were walking down the street and a $100 bill was lying on the sidewalk, it wouldn't be worth his time to bend over and pick it up.

Last edited:
there are developers who like MSDN, and consider it a good standard,
as well .NET, MSIL, MFC, VB, VS, MSSQL, WinServer, and all that.
I do not consider the above good standards because they are not completely free and open. A good standard should be well-documented and freely available for anyone to use royalty free.

MS Word, well, I do not use it at all, it is said some people even make web pages using Word.
People that use MS Word for creating web pages can GTFO of the Internet as far as I'm concerned. MS Word is terrible for creating web pages because it's completely non-standards compliant. Web sites created with Word only work on MSIE and even then they don't reliably work on future IE versions. A site created using a version of Word in existance before IE 7 won't necesarilly work with IE 7.

Last edited:
He takes the reward and left his friend in the dust i think. Its more of a ... he cheated his way in type of deal....

Who, Paul Allen? Paul's got more money than God. Tim Paterson? Got a check for $25k in 1980 for a re-write of CP/M, then went to work for Microsoft several times from 1981-1998, wound up a multi-millionaire. Twelve-THOUSAND Microsoft employees became millionaires, four became billionaires. I'm tired of people taking a crap on Gates without checking the facts. Try to find another company that's made so many of its employees so rich.

I made this thread because the reasons for the anger are not entirely clear to me.

what caused anger towards LINUX was the writing style inside a PHP book, for istance to wait a few weeks before contributing again to a support forum.

and yes, the very suggestion to duck, and to be penguin.

also the supplied PERL/PHP stuff did not install at all on WIN98SE.
there was page long very basic explanation, but no relevant help to make it working just one bit.

I still have the books, but the technology is not relevant to me.

I do not boycot it, for instance I use various counters on my web pages which are PHP based.
but also I am not really very fond of it.

Maybe in the LINUX world, I'd have to be happy if they allow me as "user".

yet Windows products do not have suggestive logo's, or animal references.

yet Windows products do not have suggestive logo's, or animal references.
You obviously don't remember Microsoft Bob or the silly MS Office assistants, many of whom were animals.:D

You obviously don't remember Microsoft Bob or the silly MS Office assistants, many of whom were animals.:D

hmm yes u r right on that one.
not in my Office 2007, though, maybe they'd show up if i really start up WORD other than to look at a document?

A Partner is a partner not a employee.

If you're referring to Tim Patterson, he wasn't a partner or even an employee of MS in the beginning. He had his own company making 8086 cards for other computers. He wrote QDOS and licensed it to Microsoft who continued to improve it. They then went into an agreement with IBM to supply MS-DOS for all their computers, but they keep it as their own product.

There was no stealing involved, although MS had the IBM deal before they bought QDOS and didn't mention it to Patterson. Although that might have hurt someones feelings, it's still appropriate business strategy.

I found this

QDOS (Qick and dirty Disk Operating System) was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal.
Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products.
Seems to me $25K or $50K of 1980 dollars was very good pay for six weeks work.

If you want to point a finger to a crook I would say it was Paterson rather then Gates !

If you do the legwork you will find CP/M was based on the OS's that preceded it too. I wonder how many people are saying CP what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back