Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why My post is not appeared yet?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because your posts require approving by a moderator before they appear.

This is why hardly any spam appears on this site.

Hi Nigel,

I think I'm experimenting the same issue - on the other hand I fully agree with the way you are acting.

Regarding the use of the Forum, may I also ask you how to insert an image around the text other than having to attach thumbnails at the end of the post ?

Thanks in advance,

Efron

Regarding the use of the Forum, may I also ask you how to insert an image around the text other than having to attach thumbnails at the end of the post?
It is best to attach a PNG file type schematic or a JPG file type image to your reply here (use the Go Advanced button) so that it shows a small thumbnail that is enlarged by clicking on it.

But some people like to have the schematic or image appear as full size in the text here by linking to another website that hosts the file. But many of those hosting websites take a long time to open and delete the file after a few days.

It is best to attach a

But some people like to have the schematic or image appear as full size in the text here by linking to another website that hosts the file. But many of those hosting websites take a long time to open and delete the file after a few days.

I download the images and host them on my own site.

Because your posts require approving by a moderator before they appear.
I realize that mods usually have real jobs and don't just sit around waiting for newbie posts to show up in queue, but it's been several days since I made my first post and I haven't seen it appear yet. My second post contained a suggestion that an unmoderated user also suggested before mine will appear, so when it does finally appear it will look rather redundant. This will be my third post, and I'm curious to see if it will show up, or sit in the moderation queue for a few days first.

Moderating the first several posts of a new user is a good practice... but if mods are overloaded, could some kind of meta-moderation occur (similar to Slashdot), with users above X number of posts able to verify new users are not just spamming the site?

having the same issue.
this is by far the worst system for weeding out spam.

Care to share any suggestions on better ways? You seem quite confident that you've thought about this harder than the people who have implemented this system. I suspect that you are mistaken. This site has been online for many years and the folks running it actually do know what they're doing, you know. And yes, I am professionally qualified to judge that.

So, did you have anything constructive to offer? Or did you just want to complain?

Torben

the main issue is that there is a break in the entire chain.
there may be limited spam or none but also you have no one that can post due to lack of mods.
so there is useless posts being made, pretty much as bad as spam anyways, i just posted enough times to be able to ask a simple question.
this forum is built by vbulliten. anyone that would install it would know that it's not some child like freebie with zero security measures, that by default, couldn't just be turned on. on top of that, as a paid member (you cant install vb with out paying) you have one of the largest database for add-ons, many of them being for spam/bot detection and removal.
so yes i do have something constructive, either get a mod online or leave them offline and install an add-on. in 6 years being an admin or super mod, on phpbb or vbulliten i have only had but 2 spam threads to attend to.

there may be limited spam or none but also you have no one that can post due to lack of mods.
so there is useless posts being made, pretty much as bad as spam anyways, i just posted enough times to be able to ask a simple question.
this forum is built by vbulliten. anyone that would install it would know that it's not some child like freebie with zero security measures, that by default, couldn't just be turned on. on top of that, as a paid member (you cant install vb with out paying) you have one of the largest database for add-ons, many of them being for spam/bot detection and removal.
so yes i do have something constructive, either get a mod online or leave them offline and install an add-on. in 6 years being an admin or super mod, on phpbb or vbulliten i have only had but 2 spam threads to attend to.

That's not constructive. That's complaining about how things are done at a place where you are the new one on board. Constructive would be "How about trying Akismet?" or something. Just blustering about how bad things are is nothing but blowing hot air.

Whatever. I'd like to see something like Akismet tried, even just as a test. The problem with a site that has the volume Electro-Tech has could end up being price, though.

Torben

just having a image test and email verification would be enough i think

Nope. There are spam operations which employ people (at very low pay, I would imagine) to sit around and do nothing but try to hit blogs and forums with spam entries. As a site operator, as soon as your opponent is a human instead of a bot, you've lost the battle unless you employ something with equal or greater processing power to fight back. Humans--even the ones who have to get jobs entering spam on blogs--have no trouble getting around naïve schemes like image tests. Email verification is a bit harder to get around programmatically, but not really that hard either and completely possible for a human.

Even the current system here, tight as it is, allows the odd spammer through the gates. They often don't last long as regular users tend to flag them down quickly, though.

Torben

You obviously weren't moderating a very busy forum then! :D

There are multiple spam attacks here EVERY day, as there are on all forums I know of.

Addon's are of only VERY limited use in preventing them.

back in 2008 it was about 10,000+ members (last time i checked the user count) . about 30 - 60 sign ups a day.
lasted until about 7 months ago. but by that time i kind of checked out. that forum was having DB errors a lot and they just shut it down and moved on.
there were 2 others with about 70 - 130k of members.
so i guess it's all what you consider "big/busy"
regardless, the point is that if theres a need for the posts to be approved in a timely manner as per a request as the first posts state. that user and myself would have liked to see our posts. mine still isn't posted yet.
my point is that there is options and someone should look into any type of streamline solution, imo.

Last edited:
back in 2008 it was about 10,000+ members (last time i checked the user count) . about 30 - 60 sign ups a day.
lasted until about 7 months ago. but by that time i kind of checked out. that forum was having DB errors a lot and they just shut it down and moved on.
there were 2 others with about 70 - 130k of members.
so i guess it's all what you consider "big/busy"
regardless, the point is that if theres a need for the posts to be approved in a timely manner as per a request as the first posts state. that user and myself would have liked to see our posts. mine still isn't posted yet.
my point is that there is options and someone should look into any type of streamline solution, imo.

It's been looked into endlessly, and this is by far the most effective method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back