Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why does this Card Reader Stop at 75%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm revising a previous project involving a magstripe (credit card, ID card, etc.) reader and I started to realize that about 25% of the data I expect is missing each time I scan. A similar project at Univ Berkley had the same problem.

This is an insertion-type reader, so once the card hits the end stop, there's no going any further; and I see a big section of the card sticking out. The project is just being done for demonstration purposes, however I would like to read the entire card so that I can make use of the LRC checksum that is located in the final byte.

Anyway, I realize the best way to do this is just to try a different model, but I was hoping someone might know why it was designed to read so little of the card like that? Is this common?

The reader I'm using is a Panasonic ZU-M2121S451 ISO Track 2-only type. Track 2 contains 40 characters at 5 bits each, but my reader stops just after the 30th character. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back