Why does this Card Reader Stop at 75%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm revising a previous project involving a magstripe (credit card, ID card, etc.) reader and I started to realize that about 25% of the data I expect is missing each time I scan. A similar project at Univ Berkley had the same problem.

This is an insertion-type reader, so once the card hits the end stop, there's no going any further; and I see a big section of the card sticking out. The project is just being done for demonstration purposes, however I would like to read the entire card so that I can make use of the LRC checksum that is located in the final byte.

Anyway, I realize the best way to do this is just to try a different model, but I was hoping someone might know why it was designed to read so little of the card like that? Is this common?

The reader I'm using is a Panasonic ZU-M2121S451 ISO Track 2-only type. Track 2 contains 40 characters at 5 bits each, but my reader stops just after the 30th character. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…