Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why 110V grid runs in 60Hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really understood vestigial modulation, I was looking at the squirrels in the college playing field when that was the subject.
Vestigial modulation is a variation of AM single-sideband modulation where the lower frequencies are also transmitted on the other sideband. It's related to the fact that the video signal has a lot of low frequency content that is not readily transmitted by full single-sideband modulation.

I remember watching some of the wildlife on my college playing field but it never involved squirrels. ;)

Guys, It is about Hz only . Why when they changed 110 to 220 they reduced the frequency to 50Hz? Why 220V 60Hz not?

They didn't change - it was always 220/240V 50 Hz.

Presumably it was a question of choosing a standard?, most of the world chose 50Hz, the USA and a few others chose 60Hz - there's little difference between them, both have slight advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.

Probably more to the point, why 110, 120, 220, 240V? - why not a nice round 100V or 200V?.

But really it's doesn't matter what the standard is, as long as it's 'standard' :D

Maybe Edison's goal was to get 100v DC at the customer, and assuming all the distribution losses would be about 10 to 15% meant the goal at generation of 110v - 115v?

By low frequency content you mean sync pulses?

Lancaster 20 miles from here used to have battery houses to run street lights, the council sold some of the original light fittings the other year, they all fetched phone numbers.

Maybe Edison's goal was to get 100v DC at the customer, and assuming all the distribution losses would be about 10 to 15% meant the goal at generation of 110v - 115v?

Why 100 V as a goal?

Wikipedia answers:

Edison chose 110 volts to make high-resistance carbon filament lamps both practical and economically competitive with gas lighting. While higher voltages would reduce the current required for a given quantity of lamps, the filaments would become increasingly fragile and short-lived. Edison selected 100 volts for the lamp as a compromise between distribution costs and lamp costs. Generation was maintained at 110 volts to allow for a voltage drop between generator and lamp.

John

Doesnt the japanese 100v supply earth the centre tap, so that you only have 50v to earth?, I spose you'd have 2 lives then but at only 50v each its a whole lot safer.

There was some mention about doing this with 110v power tools here in the uk, dont know what came of it.

By low frequency content you mean sync pulses?

Yes, the 60Hz sync pulses and any large black or white area.

To make life interesting, some older photographic printing machines use both 110 and 220v : 110v for the cpu supply, ext 5v, relay pcb, drive motor etc and 220v for the chemical and dryer heaters, 650 watt lamp smps and the 24v circulation pump smps. Then there is the American colour code : black is "hot" (live) and white is "cold" (neutral) whereas in England, neutral used to be black before they changed it to blue.....

Timescope

Last edited:
Yep, I know that well. When my company moved (a 120/240 3 phase hi leg delta) to a 120/208 3 phase system, the powers that be decided that they new everything when it came to power, so they said 208 single phase 50 A and forgot the 4-wire, so they got 3 wire 208.

Some pumps had to be re-wired and some diffusion pumps had to have their element changed.

You should have seen when they tried to run machines that needed ground temperature water and they put it on the building's heat pump cooling loop. Oops!

And the guys that built the building had an interesting way of pouring an isolated cement pad. Pour it all, break up the middle and pour again.

Last edited:
Where I work a previous leccy managed to wire one side of a large heater element to phase L1 and the other side to phase L2, sounds simple but the thryristor module kept throwing a wobbler, after much faffing I realised that L1 was from one substation, and L2 from another, my point being I'm not so sure that the electric board get L1, 2 and 3 the same everywhere.

The pal video system has a different volatge for black, 300mV and also theres a front porch as well as a back porch, the black signal makes sense as the signal is stronger for black with ntsc so s/n is going to be much better, I wonder if it makes tranmission more difficult.

Speaking of building, the local tv transmitter building and the road to it were built by policemen in 1950, as it was originally the radio station for the north west police force, the bbc hijacked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back