whitespace boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

laroche73

here's a basic question. how do you enclose something in a whitespace box when writing a reply - for example, when quoting something from a previous posting? I think mechie mentioned enclosing things with "code" and "code/" markers, but I'm quite new to HTML, obviously :cry: . An example would help. Thank you
- CAL

Fancy formatting

Hi laroche73,
Here goes - I have used curly brackets {} instead of square ones [] to stop the commands working :?

Code:
When you post a reply the form has some buttons above the typing area
such as {b} to turn bold text on (cancelled with a {/b}) etc.

The list of options includes :-

{code}, very useful for tables of info as the font used is 'monospaced' -
every character is the same size so columns are easy to create

{quote}, anything after this will be inset in a box (similar to code) but
carries the title "Quote" above it.

Every command needs to be cancelled with the same command prefixed
with '/', all wrapped up in square brackets eg {/quote}

If you hover your mouse pointer over these options a quick explanation
of how to use them appears immediately above the typing area.
mechie said:
That's how I do it :wink:
... Note smartass use of {quote="mechie"} to add a name
I also do this 8)
... Plain old {quote} for comparison

Much better example of code ...
(bizzarely, the very post you were referring to, subsequently edited if you remember)

Ever wanted to indent text ? adding space characters won't work, they get deleted when you submit your post! The {list} option does the indenting for you :wink:

• (Sneaky use of {color=blue} command (note American spelling :roll This text is jibberish just to demonstrate the use of the {list} option, remember I am using curly brackets to replace square brackets in order to stop the command working. I hope this is enough text to cause a few line-wraps so the indenting effect can be seen.
    [list:717438449f]
    A second level of indent? a second {list} command.
    This text is jibberish just to demonstrate the use of the {list} option, remember I am using curly brackets to replace square brackets in order to stop the command working. I hope this is enough text to cause a few line-wraps so the indenting effect can be seen.
[/list:u:717438449f]
Play, try things out; use the 'Preview' button instead of 'Submit' to see what happens. All the commands work similarly so once you get the idea of a few the rest seem easier !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…