Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which way does current flow?

Which way does YOUR current flow?

• Electron Flow - to +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conventional + to -

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time electron flow convention made sense was when we used vacuum tubes since electrons were real things then. Since then, really makes no difference to understanding the circuitry.

I've seen many pictures that depict the following diagram of the attachment; and I always see them flowing from - to +. Note the arrows.

Attachments

• ElectronCurrentFlow.JPG
    ElectronCurrentFlow.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I've seen many pictures that depict the following diagram of the attachment; and I always see them flowing from - to +. Note the arrows.
The diagram you attached clearly states "electron flow" as going from minus to plus, so it's correct. Did you notice the current source on the very left of your drawing? It's a circle with an arrow showing current direction which is the OPPOSITE direction (that is, going from plus to minus) as electron flow.

That's the convention for schematic symbols including transistors: "current flow" is defined as plus to minus, even though we know electron flow is the opposite. "Current flow" is a mythical entity that flows the reverse of electrons. I read someplace that Ben Franklin was the guy who first declared which way current flowed way back when..... and with a 50-50 chance of being right, he got it wrong.:D maybe that's just a legend, but I remember reading it.

Last edited:
The diagram you attached clearly states "electron flow" as going from minus to plus, so it's correct. Did you notice the current source on the very left of your drawing? It's a circle with an arrow showing current direction which is the OPPOSITE direction (that is, going from plus to minus) as electron flow.

That's the convention for schematic symbols including transistors: "current flow" is defined as plus to minus, even though we know electron flow is the opposite. "Current flow" is a mythical entity that flows the reverse of electrons. I read someplace that Ben Franklin was the guy who first declared which way current flowed way back when..... and with a 50-50 chance of being right, he got it wrong.:D maybe that's just a legend, but I remember reading it.

Yes bountyhunter, I already knew that electrons flow from - to +. Just to prove it, I showed the diagram in the attachment that I found online. Yes, again, I saw the arrow on the far left and I don't think it shows current in the opposite direction, but that there simply IS current flow.

Yes bountyhunter, I already knew that electrons flow from - to +. Just to prove it, I showed the diagram in the attachment that I found online. Yes, again, I saw the arrow on the far left and I don't think it shows current in the opposite direction, but that there simply IS current flow.
You are completely wrong on that. That symbol is a standardized schematic symbol for a current source which BY ACCEPTED CONVENTION always points in the direction of "positive current flow". That's the symbol, that's what it means, been that way for as long as I have done electronics (about 45 years).

You will also see transistor and diode schematic symbols follow the same convention: arrow head points in the direction of positive current flow, the exact opposite of electron flow.

This thread is ridiculous:

Electrons flow from minus to plus.

Schematic symbols point the other way.

Most people use "plus to minus" flow convention just because it is widely accepted, but we all understand when we do it that it is a mythical creation simply for convenience and electrons go the other way.

I don't know how a whole thread of confusing posts can be built around something so simple....

Last edited:
I don't know how a whole thread of confusing posts can be built around something so simple....

Yeah, were making it harder than it really is. Sometimes I do that...:rolleyes: In fact, I do that most often when I try to imagine every disadvantage or advantage in some particular circuit or project in my mind and of course why. Ahh...well....I'll just keep on practicing. ;)

Last edited:
I always think of it as negative electrons flowing in a negative direction. Two negatives make a positive, hence, a positive current flowing in the conventional direction. So, both are correct.

It works for me.:)

Mike.

I always think of it as negative electrons flowing in a negative direction. Two negatives make a positive, hence, a positive current flowing in the conventional direction. So, both are correct.

It works for me.:)

Mike.

Seems logical, from the perspective of thermo dynamics, Heat travel in the direction of cold. Physics then is a classical view of physical or physical representation.

Now add a little resistance and boom you have movement relative to opposition. Current being subject or object to work performed and you have 2 opposites attract.

Now you have the electron who just say's which ever way I want to perform I will and that's the direction opposite of current, relative position. ?

What ever now I'm confused.

Just a comment from the peanut section.:)

kv

Last edited:
Its actually Electron Flow, because +'ve ions dont take part in motion.
Conventionally, the direction of current is taken as so because various laws of Faraday n others were used the direction of current as Convention Direction, they believed +'ve ions in motion!

darn, there's no emoticon for "i'm tearing my hair out!!!!!!!!" it's a good thing positrons don't coexist with electrons, or we'd all be totally confused. i thought the question was clear enough. and everybody has their reasons for using one or the other or both. it's beginning to remind me of the dreaded "ohm's law" thread...... good thing we're in electronics. if we were all politicians, we'd be in a state of war already over something so insignificant....... "yeah, penatgon????? we need to call up all of our reserves.... go to DEFCON 1....... "

I've been watching this thread and wanted it to go back thru the ringer.

I want to stir more brains soup.:p

Not everyone has seen it.

kv:D

Sorry, I'm just teased to deviation.

evil-kv-evil.:D

darn, there's no emoticon for "i'm tearing my hair out!!!!!!!!" it's a good thing positrons don't coexist with electrons, or we'd all be totally confused. i thought the question was clear enough. and everybody has their reasons for using one or the other or both. it's beginning to remind me of the dreaded "ohm's law" thread...... good thing we're in electronics. if we were all politicians, we'd be in a state of war already over something so insignificant....... "yeah, penatgon????? we need to call up all of our reserves.... go to DEFCON 1....... "
If you believe in positrons, do you believe in homotrons, they are what blow fuses. Sorry, I shamed myself.

Thanks to all who voted, I found it very interesting and surprising
Thanks again.
Kinarfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back