Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which way does current flow??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understanding, well for me, the way in which electronic components work is alot easier when it is presented like this:

Capacitors

Knowing exactly where the energy is makes it alot easier to grasp how caps work. (refer to first and second diagrams)

Here is a question which probably doesnt deserve a thread for it self..

In diagram 2..

When the cap is charged and the battery is replaced with a wire.. do the electrons JUMP from one plate to the other through the dielectric?

or

Do the electrons go through the lamp to the other plate?

thanks

Your original question:
Peter_wadley said:
In electronic circuits.. Which way do the electrons travel?
seems to have been answered. To summarise:

Electrons flow from -ve to +ve.
Conventional current flows from +ve to -ve.

When trying to understand the operation of a particular item of electronics, just use whichever idea is easiest to understand. As long as you are consistent in the method used in each situation, it will work out correctly.

Hero and Tomble explained it quite adequately.
So why the temper tantrum?

JimB

Last edited:
So why the temper tantrum?

Please explain how Ive managed to through a tantrum?

What, I can't disagree with fact lacking posts like Tombles'?

Dont get me wrong, I very much am greatful for those trying to help me understand. This topic seems to be more about personal preferences then anything also so i guess there really is no 'right' answer.

Just trying to have a mind expanding conversation about electronics.

HMMMM, i didn't know that electrons flowed - to +??? stupid science books:D

Peter_wadley said:
Please explain how Ive managed to through a tantrum?

What, I can't disagree with fact lacking posts like Tombles'?

Struck me as a tantrum!, he gave you the correct answer!.

Current flows from +ve to -ve.

And it makes no difference whatsoever to designing or understanding circuits, I never even consider it either way - just that current flows from high voltage to low voltage - so from +ve supply rail to ground it's conventional current flow, and from a -ve supply rail to ground it's electron flow, it makes no difference which it is.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Struck me as a tantrum!, he gave you the correct answer!.

Current flows from +ve to -ve.

And it makes no difference whatsoever to designing or understanding circuits, I never even consider it either way - just that current flows from high voltage to low voltage - so from +ve supply rail to ground it's conventional current flow, and from a -ve supply rail to ground it's electron flow, it makes no difference which it is.

Yes, im beginning to see that.

I think I just associated electrons as being the only important charge.. guess not.

I can see your point Peter, I really can. If you're looking at how semiconductors, capacitors, batteries, i.e. how components work internally understanding that electrons flow from negitive to positive is really important.

I just want to to see myself and Tomble's point: If all you're doing is looking at a circuit, as far as you're concerned, all the components are black boxes and it doesn't what's happening inside them. Therefore it doesn't matter which way current flows, it can flow either way, providing you keep it consistent when you are looking at the same circuit, it really doesn't matter.

Its so simple, don't make it so confused. Current flow when there are different potential between conductive or resistive line. What about capacitor? Capacitor charged with current, and current always flow by different potential. I(c)=C*dv/dt.
555 is simple too. Based on hysteretic system comparator.
Inductor more hard to understand for beginner (charged with voltage, instant discharge when open, and its current doesn't change when shorted). V(L)=L*di/dt.
Also Inductor and capacitor connected and transformer. But there always easy way to analyze them.

N-type semiconductor has lower resistance than P-type. That's why N-channel mosfet most used for switching (smaller faster). Switching with mosfet is about to creating channel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back