Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Microcontroller To Use For A Frequency Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiotek

There are so many different type and families of microcontrollers out there it makes it very difficult to decide which one to buy. There are 8 bit, 16 bit and 32 bit controllers and so many different manufacturers making these chips it really makes it confusing which one to use for your project. I will need a microcontroller that will be able to count frequencies to at least 40 Mhz. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Frank

There are a number of PIC based 50MHz frequency counters - the first one on a VERY, VERY old Microchip application note, and using 7 segment LED displays - there are later versions though that use an LCD text module instead.

There are very few micro controllers who's counter will work at 40mhz. As Nigel said, PIC has some parts that work to 50mhz. I have one working.

It is common to have a 'per-scaller' ahead of a slower counter. (divide by 10 or 100)

Last edited:
Thanks, in the next days I will make time to read it in detail.

As Nigel said, PIC has some parts that work to 50mhz. I have one working.

It's hardly 'some' parts - almost all PIC's will work as 50MHz frequency counters, it's nothing to do with the clock speed of the processor, it's using the physical hardware in the chip - which exceeds 50MHz capability.

It's hardly 'some' parts - almost all PIC's will work as 50MHz frequency counters, it's nothing to do with the clock speed of the processor, it's using the physical hardware in the chip - which exceeds 50MHz capability.

I was wondering about this. AVR datasheet says

"An external clock source applied to the Tn pin can be used as Timer/Counter clock (clkTn). The Tn pin is sampled once every system clock cycle by the pin synchronization logic."

This means that the external clock to Timer/Counter unit (in AVR) must be less than half the system clock. So PICs are better in that respect. What is a typical speed limit for PIC timer/counter (or whatever the peripheral unit is called in PIC)?

EDIT: Apparently most AVRs have also at least one Timer/counter unit that can be clocked asynchronously.
EDIT2: The specs for AVR asynchronous mode says: "The CPU main clock frequency must be more than four times the Oscillator frequency.". So that is even worse than the synchronous mode.. strange. I think the async mode is mainly designed for RTC.

Last edited:
This means that the external clock to Timer/Counter unit (in AVR) must be less than half the system clock. So PICs are better in that respect. What is a typical speed limit for PIC timer/counter (or whatever the peripheral unit is called in PIC)?

It's a standard TTL type spec - so 50MHz minimum - it can be used as a counter for an external input independent of the PIC processor, which is just used to read the value out (in a rather clever way, as only half of it can be read directly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back