Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which member's are amateur radio operators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont go peeing on my cornflakes Nigel
Then don't leave the cornflakes next to the piss pot!

A little clarification.
FM is used on the 10 metre band.
When conditions are good, you will find FM activity around 29.6Mhz.
You will also find a whole "zoo" of unlicenced CB style operation and taxi drivers from the former USSR, spread all over ten meters.
The majority of operation on the 10 metre band is on SSB around 28.5Mhz, again when conditions are good - as they are at the moment. However don't expect it to last long, depends on sunspots and all that good stuff.

JimB

You are well out of touch Nigel.
FM has been used on 10m in the USA for donkeys ages, and started to become fairly popular in Europe over the last 25 years.
JimB

soldering a couple of jumpers probally comes under tweaks :D:D:D:D

It was pure luck! I found the radio with an hour to go on the auction, I did a google to see if it was any good, thats when I found the tuning info :D:D:D. I have no idea how active CB is, but it cant hurt to practice on! So first job build a power supply! another soldering iron transformer I think, not sure I fancy a switch mode build lol, then again :D
at least my cornflakes have dried out

I remember when CB was first authorized in the US. As a "ham" I was outraged that anyone could get a license for CB usage just by being 21 years old. No technical knowledge test. No morse code proficiency. Of course, CB took off like a rocket and soon far out distanced Amateur radio in the number of users.

Now I see that in the UK that, essentially, there is no requirement for a license at all. There still is a law against an output of greater that 4W which, apparently, is frequently exceeded without any real fear of legal problems.

What could be easier?

I, however, as well as many of my ham buddies, considered the lot of them cheaters. It was, of course, really just sour grapes and elitism on our part. But as time went by, CB played out somewhat as we had expected.

So, anyway, the problem I see for you (if, indeed, there even is a problem) is that your fellow CB'ers won't likely share your interest in electronics.

It'll most likely be you having to talk with the gang bangers, terrorists, taxis, and truckers (my apologies to the truckers), few of whom give a hoot about how their rig works and don't care that they overpower anyone else who might wish to use that channel.

In other words, Wild West brute force and ignorance (CB), versus gentlemanly finesse (Ham radio).

OKRA

(Old Koot Rant Over)...:woot:.

I understand I have to rough it for now, until I get a license and have saved up a bit, but a transceiver is a transceiver, CB's dont look too complicated, and they are cheap. So for me its a good way to learn about radio, and maybe practice modifying things and tuning up, without ruining a £1000 transceiver, I dont live near many people so I doubt if I tweak the power a little anyone will be bothered :D.

Seriously don't tweak the power.

If they catch you Ofcom will not be pleased at all, regardless of age/reason. Remember that it isn't just twisting some rule, it would be breaking in the law.

Have fun, but keep it legal. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back