Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which ESP8266 to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

I'm an Aliexpress fan and was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular ESP8266 variant and vendor? I think it's time I dipped my toes in the water, so to speak.

TIA, guys. Cheerful regards, Mike

I would urge you to consider the ESP32 instead. See here and here for some simple comparisons of why the ESP32 may be a better choice at this point.

That being said, I have used a couple of different ESP8266 variants for some fun and projects and, once you get the hang of some things, they do work. There is a very nice monograph/user guide that has been posted on this board that I think would be a big help if you want to start using them and also want to save yourself some aggravation.

The ESP32 is going to be a few bucks more, but I still think it is the better buy if you just want to learn and use it in some projects. I just received one of **broken link removed** a few days ago - so far it checks out. I also have one of these. I really have not done more than some testing and scanning and running a few examples and the like. The additional BLE capability is intriguing and since the demise of the 101, I have been looking for a go to board to continue to play with BLE. Right now as far as I can see, BLE software and documentation is a little underdeveloped - hopefully, that will change. But, even without considering the BLE part, I think the ESP32 is superior.

That's my .02.

I second the Wemos. Make sure it's revision 2. The mini is about the size of a stamp and very powerful. The 4 meg of flash can be setup as a 3M drive and 1M for code and can easily serve up a complete website. I posted a link elsewhere to a very good document on the esp.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back