Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which company of wall adapter is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of wall adapter ? Linear or switching ? Current ratings / ripple / certification requirements ?

https://www.powerstream.com/power2.html puts out a nice line of wall warts etc. and their prices are not too bad.

In general, all supplies are missing one critical part. Surge protection. Another critical area is wire flexing which is a great way of destroying a laptop power supply. iGo makes some really nice supplies (12 VDC/120 VAC inputs) for laptops and you can replace the input and output cables.

Over the years, I either loose them; the ends break; they are hit by surges; Surge protection is EXPENSIVE. the wires break at the brick are the failures I see.

I did make a box with a Chinese step-down regulator with a 5.5/2.1 and 5.5/2.5 input and an adapt-a-plug output (Radio Shack) which a switching step down regulator and has adjustable current limiting. Currently, this is in use 24/7, but the general plan was to have a backup supply that I could conjur together for nearly anything with the power coax adapters. You just have to watch polarity.

In one of the "worst case" uses, I used a selectable linear power with a tapped secondary for a power supply for a transistor radio. Conventional wall warts were way too noisy. This is also on a UPS.

The US Nema 5-15p and 5-20P (typical wall sockets) sockets suck. The Wall warts don;t hang right and don;t make good contact. For my network, I use an extension cord Octopus and lie the warts on a shelf. These are on a UPS now as well. I just got way tired of the poor connections. So, you could be better off, plugging a wall wart into an extension cord and have the wart rest on the ground, Less stress.

For a calculator that I got without a power supply, I had to add a diode to an AC supply to make it work.

A lot of stuff doesn;t get damaged with a reverse polarity supply for a very short time. I take EVERY wall wart: Label it;s use b) label the connector like (5 V 100 mA, 5.5/2.1 C+); the C+ is center positive. I may also put the name of the device there as well. Furthermore, I catalog all of that information. A lot of times only the adapter contains all of the information.

I am considering building a 4 or 5 channel low voltage UPS that can supply nearly any voltage from about 18V to 1.5 VDC at up to 1.5 A each. I want to work out an arrangement where a box at the end of the plug that plugs into the UPS "protects" the output (sets voltage, polarity and possibly current limits). It won't be cheap. I want this for a living room application to power a wireless repeater, so it has to "hide" behind a piece of furniture.

No.. I am not coming through electronic background that's why i am asking about Which company of wall adapter is good?

as i was asking about what is Linear or switching wall adapter?, no one answer me but by the help of search engine i found what is Linear or switching wall adapter so in that case my requirement is about switching wall adapter so now any one tell me which company of switching wall adapter is good?

I never really studied wall adapters to find the best but................
You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back