Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whether to build a circuit or to buy a radio: Amateur radio (DXing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratchit

I wanted to know, whether it would be wise to build my own circuit from components, PCB/breadboard etc referring to the circuit diagrams available for amateur radio (listening... DXing mainly) OR to purchase good manufactured kit/rig from reputed companies at a cost.

The thing is I do not have a license yet, and do not have much knowledge about transmitting and QSO....however what caused me to ask this question was this:
With my Rs 100 (2$) cheap hand-held China-made radio (some Kchibo named company) i received stations of Persia, Libya, Syria even Dushanbe. (i.e. 2000-3000 kms of DXing from my location in Goa) This i confirmed from the broadcast language, and cross-checking the frequency with resources on the internet (AM: 450 to 1700 KHz....the net band my small radio offers) This was done in the night time when local stations had shut down for the night. The details aside, i wanted to hear to more stations (difficult with my cheap radio i have now!), and as I am interested in giving the HAM license exam anyway, you would need equipment in the future! So this is my dilemma.

Would be better to buy one or to build one.

PS: I have 2 months of vacation... so i have time to make and test the circuit!

I would suggest buying - it would be difficult (and expensive) to match the performance of modern commercial gear.

However, certainly for CW, it's easy (and cheap) to make both transmitters and receivers that perform quite well.

Don't try and use breadboard though, it's unsuitable for RF work.

I used to buy my receivers and build my transmitters, but today you can buy transceivers for a low price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back