Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where to buy this solenoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

basically i want to open my deadbolt from outside of my door wirelessly. i bought an X10 tx/rx system, but all that does is let me control "on or off" of an outlet inside the door. connected to this outlet i want there to be a solenoid aimed at the dead bolt mechanism that will push it when current is applied. it would probably have to extend a couple of inches.

does this sound possible? and if so, where would i buy something like this?

thanks
david

look at the operating mechanism for a power car door lock, sound like it'll work for you..

great, but do the electronics make sense?
like when ac is applied the thing is out and when it stops being applied it goes back in? and wall power current amounts ok?

it looks like this

**broken link removed**

You can buy an electrical lock for your door, its is a simple and nice thing (i have it in my room's door), it's getting open when you pulse it with 12V and closed when its on 0V.

yea i have seen those, but it is in a dorm, and i dont think they want us messing with the locks.

so does anyone know about the solenoid?

The power door lock I'm talking about needs 12vdc @5a or so.You change the polarity of the leads(pulse) to make it move, it has no spring return..You could plug a dc power supply into a outlet not controlled by x-10 and plug a relay into the controlled outlet to toggle a flip flop circuit to change the polarity..If you wire the solenoid directly to the relay and flip flop from it ,the solenoid would be turned on all the time and they're not rated for continous duty..

There is another way,there's almost always another way, you can get one of the door 'kickers' used on hot rods that are shaved (no door handles)
Yhey use a spring loaded plunger that kicks out when 12vdc applied and retract via spring pressure..Try JC Whitney or Jegs speed store.. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back