Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where is a good place to buy PIC16F84?

Status
Not open for further replies.
control freak said:
where can i find the best deals on PICF84 cips and associated products?

If you entered your location in your profile you might get some country specific suggestions, but as it's blank we don't have the faintest idea where in the world you might be?.

Bear in mind the 16F84 is essentially obselete, you should replace it with the higher spec and cheaper 16F628.

I live in CT, USA

also...i have a book on the 16F84 and i am very new to microcontrollers, so i was thinking the 16F84 would be a good place to start...the book also mentions the newer, cheaper 16F628 and explains that there are a lot of program written for the 16F84 and 16F84A and it is easy to find them on the internet...so do you still think that i should forget about the 16F84 and go with the 16F628? it sounds like the 16F628 would be esier to set up in that there is more internals, like oscillators and D/A converters and so on....please let me know...thank you..

It depends, the 16F628 has twice the memory of an 16F84, more perhepials built in and is cheaper...

But there are some diffirences between the RAM memory layout between the two... Any program written for the 'F84 can be modified to run on a 'F628. But if you just want to try examples out of the book on a 'F628 then it won't work. the programs need modification to run on a 628

control freak said:
I live in CT, USA

That's better :lol:

Although you only really need to mention the country, I find the two letter state codes a little confusing - would CT br Connecticut? - not that it matters!.

also...i have a book on the 16F84 and i am very new to microcontrollers, so i was thinking the 16F84 would be a good place to start...the book also mentions the newer, cheaper 16F628 and explains that there are a lot of program written for the 16F84 and 16F84A and it is easy to find them on the internet...so do you still think that i should forget about the 16F84 and go with the 16F628? it sounds like the 16F628 would be esier to set up in that there is more internals, like oscillators and D/A converters and so on....please let me know...thank you..

Have a look at my PIC tutorials, I use the 16F628 in them, there are only a very few slight changes needed for using the 628 in place of the 84, the main one of which is turning off the internal comparators, MicroChip have a migration application note for moving from the 84 to the 628.

yeah...CT is Connecticut.

looks like I should learn about the 628. thanks...I have visited your site, Nigel..It is very, very informative...thank you for taking the time to put up such a wealth of information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back