Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where has the fun gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK , great post Gophert, I didn't have an ignore list. Your "luxuries make life boring." 10 /10 and still folk want more

OK , great post Gophert, I didn't have an ignore list. Your "luxuries make life boring." 10 /10 and still folk want more
It is the "wanting/fantasizing" that makes life fun. Getting your fantasy, (any fantasy) gets boring eventually unless you work to keep it interesting.

I think it's different for different people. I can't agree that wanting/fantasising makes life fun. For me it's the journey. I'm not really bothered what's at the end of it. Does that make me a dog?

It is the "wanting/fantasizing" that makes life fun. Getting your fantasy, (any fantasy) gets boring eventually unless you work to keep it interesting.

The fun was here, until the cops arrived.

I think it's different for different people. I can't agree that wanting/fantasising makes life fun. For me it's the journey. I'm not really bothered what's at the end of it. Does that make me a dog?
I didn't mean it was the only thing. It is part of the fun. People of a certain age put way too much emphasis on "things" in general, Gen Z kids seem to understand the concept of "experiences" over things. I like that idea. Or, in the case of owning a certain old car, it creates a fun experience by generating a conversation about the car, the breakdown, the repair process or even trying to find the repair part.

Variety makes life fun. How can people work a job that does not require them to think. How can people work the same job putting parts on the assembly line 8 hours every day 7 days a week for 40 years. After I graduated Tech School then college I stayed in college 2 more years just to take classes that I wanted. After college I learned more on my own than I did in college. I worked a lot of different jobs that paid good that were educational and fun. I have a collection of technical & college text books. I love to build things, electronic and mechanical & technical. I have an electronic workshop at home also a machine shop with, milling machine, lathe, welders, lots of hand tools. I am a pack rat with too much stuff but that makes life fun. I have built just about everything I ever wanted. If you loose your motivation then you get board with life. Now I realize I have too much stuff so I have been selling it for years but can't tell much is gone. I had an interest in rocket engines & jet engines and built several learning about it on my own. We visit all the National Parks hike the trails and explore. We visit lots of State Parks too. I use to ride bicycles and race bicycles. I have don't many of the things on my bucket list but now getting where I can't do it anymore. Not being able to do things is boring, sometimes all I can do is think about them. I have a 40"x60' vegetable garden I have been researching how to grow better potatoes & onions this year. People that live up north in cool weather can grow 3 lbs of potatoes per plant the best I can do in 100° heat is 1 lb per plant & onions are the size of golf balls. Here is a pic of a small 5 lb thrust German WWII pulse jet engine I designed & built. Fun part was research and development of the engine, then building it then building larger and larger engines. Museum has a real German flying bomb I have been trying to get them to let me restore the engine FREE and make it run but all they have money for is to cut it in 1/2 so people can see how it works. I will make the engine run but they don't want people to see it run. Some days my brain does not work like everything inside has been deleted. Once I get to working on a thinking project some of my memory comes back. I hope I don't become a vegetable. My father lived to be 92 his last 15 years he sat it a chair and stared at the wall. I never learned all I wanted to know about electronics but now my brain refuses to remember, short term memory is gone.

z21.jpg
26230857_328647507634532_5805526087619177509_n.jpg
26239709_328647117634571_7839102895235229203_n.jpg
26731236_328647160967900_5716370465902492891_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some maybe, but most have rooms full of 'stuff' they wanted but now dont do anything with.

Usually paid for by their parents or stuff forced upon them by parents as gifts.
Also, don't confuse GenZ. (now 25 and under) with millennials. The GenZ crowd had some tough elementary years (2008-2012) that influences the way they handle money/think about assets and invest. Generally, a very responsible group if they have jobs.

Gary, your V1 flying bomb is looking a little worse for wear.

Here is a more complete one which is hanging up in the foyer of the Imperial War Museum in London.

1610639949305.png

The big green thing to the left of the picture is one of the V2 rockets which succeeded the V1.

JimB

gary350 Wow! Short term memory is gone too. yesterday, I can't remember where I put my Ethernet toner. I have the tracer,

if I retired "properly", I would have had $10/hr access to a machine shop, Research access to journals, Dial-up back-up internet (probably). Work was my ISP at one time. I had WIFI over dial-up at home. I retired under a "Disability or risk getting fired". mandate.
I should have a telephone recording that I need to resurect and convert to text again that would prove useful. I lost, my office possessions, or what made me, "me". I was fighting for Insulin in the transition, I missed 30 years or age my a small amount. Depends on how you count.
I got a reduced pension (It graduates between 25-30 years) and I got an excellent drug plan. Retail drug costs hit $80.000.00 USD/yr
Biggest issues are Diabetes (et. al), Asthma, Seasonal allergies, Cateracts, Degeneratve arthritus of the spine. Bursitus and tendonitis of the shoulder. The herniated disc pain won't go away. The bursitus and tendonitus is recent The AC joint in my shoulder acts up when you sleep.

Some lesbian cop gave me a good case of PTSD.

Right now, everything is a fire and it doesn't get properly fixed. The B&W laser printer started to act up. It has been a good printer with 30L pages printed on it. HP d2015dn. One funky major repair: Bake formatter PCB in oven for 10 minutes. Pick up rollers. One major design flaw: single sheet door latch should be magnetic. What would have been useful: Alpha-numeric display like the Laserjet 4m+.
Specific nice attribute: You can get a straight paper path if you need it.

OS claimed it was disconnected. I could reach the status page. I could print a test page from the status page. Huh?
Pings weren't great. Printer has a small hub.switch nearby that i used for something else too. Tested long Ethernet cable electrically.
My tester, which I like, but difficult to find now just has 4 bi-color leds. GREEN. RED, OFF. You can wiggle the ends of the cable and check for bad connections. You can immediately test if it's straight, cross, 100baseT, Gigabit, a proper coss cable.

For miswire, I use another tester.

Removing the switch made it work. Pings are "better". It still could be the cable. It was old CAT4, 4 conductor stuff, used at work when 10baseT was the only thing. Is it fixed? Maybe? Maybe not?

As usual, I'm partly there. I have parts to "upgrade" the homemade remote to test 4 pairs instead of 2. It looks like I have the parts to box put it in an enclosure). I had a patch panel mounted for a long time with no connections. I have a surface mount boxes. One for that printer and one for another inkjet which also needs telco. It can't scan or fax because the scanner is broken. I couldn't find the CAT6 I had keystone jacks. I had purchased a pull elbow

1610641007467.png

from www.creativecabling.com (picture coutresy of their website) to get the cables over an I-beam. I needed some 1/4 treaded rod and hangers, i think to make it work. More than half the "D" rings needed are mounted. I might consider two more elbows.

So, I might end up pulling one cable to the printer area and evaluate the need for two more elbows. All of this is infrastructure for two printers, one has fax. This will start the infrastructure to:
1. Rewire laser printer (4 bay surface mount keystone)
2. Convert wireless inkject printer to wired and include phone.
3. Rewire telco in a basement shop
4. Rewire telco in a bedroom (low voltage plate has been mounted), joist dilled.
5. Wire ethernet to another wall in the bedroom

The bedroom ethernet would eventually be a big help. Laptop port is limited to 100baseT, but I do have a PCCard adapter to get to gigabit.
In a pinch, I could now,, run a cable through a doorway to get to my DSL modem and have wired access during a power failure or an internal network failure of some sort.

Telco is all messed up, It's nearly all quad cable and not home run with modular and 4-prong jacks, sometimes piggy-backed. Major junction boxes are in two different locations with a difficult trip between the two of them. A 12 port RJ45 telco patch needs to be wired in the rear. New/replaced telco will be Cat6 RJ45's and reduced to RJ-11's at the wall. I can patch with RJ11's or RJ45 cable, I don;t know yet/
then it becomes easy to isolate bad jacks.
part II: is demarkation, a DSL jack; a rec room jacks, kitchen jacks, laundry room bell, and to the aux junction point.
the rec room jacks could be: (dial-up/fax), telephone), kitchen (big button phone, did have a cordless phone, might have a bed phone), probably won't get replaced.

Some things to bear in mind are distictive ring adapters for faxes, rj41x alarm and fax specific options. e.g. the printer has to see the main line and REN (Ringer equlivelence numbers).

Like i said, 1/2 done projects that come back to bite you.

Gary, your V1 flying bomb is looking a little worse for wear.

Here is a more complete one which is hanging up in the foyer of the Imperial War Museum in London.

View attachment 129027

The big green thing to the left of the picture is one of the V2 rockets which succeeded the V1.

JimB

Huntsville AL space & rocket center has a V1 & V2 outside. Once I went there with, tape measure, dial caliper, note pad, pencils, camera, took measurement of the V1 and got it all on paper, That was before internet was invented now original German V1 drawings are online I downloaded them. V1 body could be built very easy I can order correct metal thickness and length precut. I will have to roll my own cone or have it rolled and built the intake. Now with the invention of Machining centers I can have valve cages made for $100 per hour labor. I can have the entire V1 engine parts made and assembled in about 2 weeks if I was willing to spend the money. It would be fun to fire that engine up but I would need to spend more money for a test stand to hold it. It won't be a problem to start engine at 25% throttle and run it at 25% throttle but 100% throttle it need something strong to hold it. I have lost interest in building my own V1 engine but I found a man that built 1 he lives about 2000 miles from me. If I want to see a V1 engine run I need to drive to his house. 100% static thrust will not be the same as inflight thrust Germans made many changes they had a air pressure indicator that gave the engine more fuel as ram air increased with speed. At the end of WWII the VI seed was increased from about 340 mph to 499 mph. When the United State did research of the JPLoon project online says they have the V1 speed up to 600 mph. Running the V1 static max throttle will probably be 1/2 throttle compared to engine with ram air at 499 mph. Germans made so many improvements to the VI how will anyone know if fuel line drawings & specs are for the latest version. I guess research and development in the back yard will soon have fuel lines & fuel jets the correct size. When I was younger I had more motivation, not anymore. I assume all V1 engines captured after the war have the new improved fuel system. If I had a V1 at home it will not need the G force detector that increases fuel pressure to 29 psi on take off to prevent engine from flaming out. Pulse jet engines are fun. I sold all my airplanes. This airplane has no fancy ram air fuel system it flies about 300 mph. I have not flown a model in 20 years not sure I can anymore, maybe on a good day which is not often these day. Airplane picture is not mine, it belongs to a friend. I lost most of my picture 6 yrs ago when I computer crashed.

26230284_328647480967868_6336405197508245286_n.jpg

We can't have fun ALL the time; Sometimes learning or helping another can also be rewarding. The OP should bring some fun with him or teach us how it was in the past.

gary350 You's probably love this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_chucking Hurling pumpkins with home made devices

I have seen those air cannons that shoot pumpkins 3/4 mile. Once friends & I were thinking about building 2 trebuchet to throw water balloons at each other. LOL, It would have been hilariously funny to throw water balloons across the lake at Dave fishing in his boat. But it might hurt to get hit by a water balloon from that distance.

We can't have fun ALL the time; Sometimes learning or helping another can also be rewarding. The OP should bring some fun with him or teach us how it was in the past.
I'm 57 years old. In the past guys like me worked hard and listened to our mentors. We had no internet forums to ask useless questions on. If we were given good advise we wrote it down. We used pen and paper.

We stand tall now in this snowflake world where everyone feels entitled with no effort put in from them. Kids today only want answers. They won't research or work for them. They want it easy.

As a result people my age know stuff and never forget. We rejoice and are happy and confident in our ways.

We learned respect early in our lives. That's why we value good technical advice so much.

As a small sidenote..... people who are confident in what they are doing have time for fun. They don't stress all the time.

When stress comes fun goes out the window. Today's snowflakes have the worst of it. They mostly lazy and useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back