Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I get this plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinofx

There seems to be 10 million different types of connectors available. Radio Shack just has the gigantic sized power plugs. Where can I get the header and female plug for PC fans? 3-pin or 4-pin. Does anyone know the official name so that I could search for it?

Attachments

• fanplug.gif
    fanplug.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 752
That is a Molex KK receptacle... or in generic terms, a polarized 0.100 pitch connector.

I buy mine from www.futurlec.com - they're a lot less expensive than anywhere else I have seen. However, you can get genuine Molex branded connectors from any supply house.

https://www.futurlec.com/Connectors/POLHDCON3.shtml

the plastic connector is the cheap part, what makes it expensive, is the darned metal pins that go inside it ... they cost a fortune compared to the housing.

in regards to the pins, you can crimp them using needle nose pliers, but if you're going to be making more than a few, invest in the proper tool, otherwise your fingers will fall off. I recommend the Paladin Crimp-All aka the Paladin 8000 - it really makes the assembly easy ... and the paladin is a multipurpose tool, buying additional dies, you can crimp anything from RJ-11 and RJ-45 telco connectors, ring terminals, and different sized coax connectors.

hehe, mouser's website is awful - use their catalog if you like to purchase from Mouser

Molex KK is a BIG family, you have polarized, non polarized, friction lock, locking tab, and then different numbers of circuits, rows, current ratings, coating types, the list goes on

the easy way would be buying from reseller that offers a small selection (like futurlec or jameco), or getting a print catalog, so you can see the specs for the different model numbers in the KK family.

alternately, you can visit the Molex website, which has a handy search by picture feature, to identify the exact part you need.

60 cents for each crimp pin! That's crazy. You can but a computer fan, with 3 crimp pins, a connector, 4 LEDs, and of course a bushless motor and fan for $2.

dinofx said:
60 cents for each crimp pin! That's crazy. You can but a computer fan, with 3 crimp pins, a connector, 4 LEDs, and of course a bushless motor and fan for $2.

I paid less than $0.06 cents for each crimp pin ... where did you see 60 cents each?

*futurlec sells 10 for 60 cents, or larger quanities for less

Ah, I missed the part about quantity. In that case they aren't terribly expensive compared to the housing.

Almost done with my first project. This has been a fun experience. I'll post pics once I'm done.

justDIY said:
That is a Molex KK receptacle... or in generic terms, a polarized 0.100 pitch connector.

It might be 0.100" pitch; his drawing does not specify. While the 0.1" is the most common, I've seen a bigger style on the parts shelf at Fry's.

The pic shows both polarized, and a locking tab. But the pic's funny. The female plug pictured should have thin square polarization tabs on its corners, whereas the pic shows one away from its corner.

those aren't molex type KK ... I do not doubt they are for some sort of molex connector... they actually look like a wire to board type pin... you crimp a wire in, insert the pin into its housing, and the pointy tip goes through the pcb, and you solder it.

at a 100 for a buck, they're waaay too cheap to be type KK pins, even the chinese molex-clone imports on ebay aren't that cheap!

I've got a roll of the KK pins in my shop, I'll take a close-up picture of it a bit later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back