Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When is PFC needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Can you confirm that PFC is needed for products sold for general use in the power range of 75-1000W?

However, any company who is set up to be billed for apparent power, can have products that have a PF as low as they like?
Also, there are no regulations for PFC above 1000W?

It is assumed that above 1000W, people will have PFC in order to keep the mains input current peaks down...so they dont bother having regs for PFC above 1000W?

(eg regulations like EN61000-3-2)

Generally the saving for that level is not worth the price of the correction devices.
Generally for a residence it is also hardly worth it, it is the medium and large industrial plants that really benefit from the application correction.
Max.

Generally the saving for that level is not worth the price of the correction devices.
Generally for a residence it is also hardly worth it, it is the medium and large industrial plants that really benefit from the application correction.
Max.

I've think you've missed the point, it's a requirement now for TV's etc. over a certain wattage to have PFC, and has been for a fair few years.

It's not a question of saving the householder any money, but a legal requirement.

I've think you've missed the point, it's a requirement now for TV's etc. over a certain wattage to have PFC, and has been for a fair few years.

It's not a question of saving the householder any money, but a legal requirement.
Maybe not missed the point, but misunderstood the OP's reason for PFC, my experience has been in power distribution.
M.

Can you confirm that PFC is needed for products sold for general use in the power range of 75-1000W?

doesn't your government have a website where you can look at all the bloody details - I think they are called laws, rules, codes and/or regulations. Or look at the laws, rules, codes and regulations of where you plan to sell/use the device. Is this information secret in the UK? Or don't they teach people how to find the information. Or do you have to "ring-up" the Queen and ask her for a copy?

Maybe not missed the point, but misunderstood the OP's reason for PFC, my experience has been in power distribution.
M.

You're a 'big boy' - we're not allowed to play with you :D

Where I was at college, we were right across from the Trebor factory, where they made sweets - and that was always given as an example of PFC, they had an entire room of capacitors that they switched in and out to correct their power factor correction.

We were on the 4th floor on the front at college, directly overlooking the factory, and in the summer with the windows open you gained weight just by breathing the sugary air :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back