Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats your KWh rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I just opened up my electric bill today. :eek:
I apparently went from around 8 cents a KWh to around 12 cents a KWh. :eek: :(
So it looks like I am officially joining the overcharged Masses! :mad:
This bill was $150 for about 1000 KWh and this was a low month! :(
I typically use about 2000 KWh a month in the summer when I am doing welding and fabrication work. That will put me at around $300 a month!

Looks like the big wind charger is now top non work related priority. It just got bumped up ahead of new shop door and house and shed roof repair. :(;)

So what do you spend a month for the electricity you use? How many KWH and whats your service fees and misc add up to in a typical month?
I am curious as to how everybody else rates nationally and world wide. ;)

I just opened up my electric bill today. :eek:
I apparently went from around 8 cents a KWh to around 12 cents a KWh. :eek: :(
So it looks like I am officially joining the overcharged Masses! :mad:
This bill was $150 for about 1000 KWh and this was a low month! :(
I typically use about 2000 KWh a month in the summer when I am doing welding and fabrication work. That will put me at around $300 a month!

Looks like the big wind charger is now top non work related priority. It just got bumped up ahead of new shop door and house and shed roof repair. :(;)

So what do you spend a month for the electricity you use? How many KWH and whats your service fees and misc add up to in a typical month?
I am curious as to how everybody else rates nationally and world wide. ;)

My last month usage was 555KWh. That includes my wife and I. For a single guy you use a lot of juice. Turn off that light damn it :)

I suppose you have to run your heater a lot in your neck of the North Pole ... Dakota wasn't it? :)

Oh, and my bill was like 80 bucks.

Last edited:
we use about £ 65 of electric+gas per month thats at 8p/Kw for gas and 21p/kw for electric.

over here everyone is going crazy over british gas lowering their electricity prices. as usual people are stupid and ignorant and fail to notice that british gases increase was far higher than anyone elses and they never lowered it when everyone elses did, now they do it late and make it look like they are the only ones willig to lower their prices.

Electricity, compared to the rest of the world is quite cheap in South Africa.

Not two years ago we use to pay 19c/kWh (South African cent) 2.26USDc

With the power shortage in our country, the power utility company needs money to build new power stations, and they are getting the money by increasing the cost op electricity.

Today, I pay 66c/kWh (South African cent) = (Where 1USD$ = R8.38) 7.87USDc

Here in Aus we pay AU$0.15/kWh (US10.5c) and we use 5000kWh per quarter. So monthly it's around 1600kWh and that costs us AU$300 (US$210). The service charge is around US4 per month.

Mike.

Last edited:
Some of our power here in SD comes from Geo-thermal energy. The source originates near the Salton Sea where volcanic activity still takes place. Obsidian Buttes.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I've got a genset. As fuel prices rise, as is typical during summer months, I'll operate it off of twisted rubberbands and those pesty squirrels.

C$0.07/KWh here in BC. That's equal to US$0.06 or UK£0.045 (4 1/2p). That's with the energy tax surcharge already added.

Natural gas costs about the same for energy content with an average 70% efficient furnace, so I don't get very upset if people leave the lights on. The house can use the heat. So, I'm not tempted to buy CFL lightbulbs either.

Last edited:
For a single guy you use a lot of juice. Turn off that light damn it I suppose you have to run your heater a lot in your neck of the North Pole ... Dakota wasn't it?

I put my own sub meter on the shop when I built it and the shop adds up to around 50% - 80% of the electric bill per month. :(
The electric welders and the 105 amp plasma cutter suck up far more power than anything else and I cant do much about them.
There regular use is what helps pay the bills! ;)
On a cost per cut basis plasma cutting is far cheaper than any gas or fuel based cutting method.

I am actually fairly stingy with the electric use. I changed the whole house over to CFL and LED bulbs several years ago and I only run the electric heater when I am in the room. And even then I will only run it for a little while. I built a wood and coal fired boiler years ago and that does 95% of my annual heating. The propane furnace and the electric heaters dont actually get much long term use.
I keep the propane and electric backup heat set at around 55 - 60 degrees so when the house cools off I know its time to go and load up the boiler again!;):)

I put all CFL and metal halide lighting in the shop when I built it and I only run one or two sets of lights when I am working by myself.
So despite the big bill I am actually fairly tight about the power consumption already! ;)
Bigger and better co-generation systems looks like the most viable way for me to save money now! :)

We used 799 KWh in april. Cost somewhere around 165$

We use 230 to 450KW/h monthly at a rate of 0.9255 Thai Baht (0.32US$). The monthly bill is almost constant between 800 and 1,000 TBHT. (28.57US$).

The basic price (service) is 525.52 TBHT (15.00US$).

Thailand has three seasons: the hot season, the very hot season and the f... hot season. The latter takes place during April and May when the sun crosses Thailand toward the North to be able to give Canadians (and Eskimos :)) a touch of summer time. :)

During that time air conditioners are busy almost around the clock, what explains the difference of 200 TBHT.

Boncuk

We use 230 to 450KW/h monthly at a rate of 0.9255 Thai Baht (0.32US$). The monthly bill is almost constant between 800 and 1,000 TBHT. (28.57US$).

The basic price (service) is 525.52 TBHT (15.00US$).

Thailand has three seasons: the hot season, the very hot season and the f... hot season. The latter takes place during April and May when the sun crosses Thailand toward the North to be able to give Canadians (and Eskimos :)) a touch of summer time. :)

During that time air conditioners are busy almost around the clock, what explains the difference of 200 TBHT.

Boncuk

I thought your figures don't quite tally up

According to my exchange converter :

0.9255 THB = 0.0265393 USD

So you are paying 0.027 USD per KW/h ?
1000 BHT = $28 so that appears correct

Dom

At the moment we use 1200 kWh / month heading into authumn.
That will go up to about 1600 - 1800 kWh month.

NZ rate is NZ$0.20 kWh is US$0.12 kWh

Line charge per month NZ$33.00 about US$19.80

Since the so called privatisation of the electrical industry, our power prices have gone up by about 120% over the last 9 years when it was NZ$0.08 kWh is US$0.05 kWh.

Here in Oregon, US we're paying about $0.09 per KWh for 100% green power. 5.2 cents per KWh, and 3.7 cents for distribution. 5$ connection fee per month.

Even though it's really cheap, I still like to see how little electricity I can use. Can't wait to someday see a $5 electricity bill. :D

Lowest I've had it so far is 450KWh in the summer.

Last month, in the Los Angeles area, I was billed $0.12 for my first 313.1 kWh, then $0.14 for the next 94, then $0.21 for the rest.

But it's really not that simple. There are 20 line items on my bill. Among them:
$3.56 transmission charges
$27.46 distribution charges
$0.30 nuclear decommissioning charges
$2.47 public purpose programs charge
$3.57 competition transition charge
$0.64 franchise fees
$0.11 state tax
next month there will be a new System Reliability Fee.

Bottom line is $72.21 for 510 kWh, overall $0.141 ?????

I didn't have a bill handy to look up my KWH rate from the last month so I went to my local electric companies website to find their rate chart. You need a PHD in calculus to determine your applicable rate =\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back