Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

whats this called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

basicconcepts

im looking for a switch, basically what i need is something that can switch power from one power source to the other, lighting the same bulb.

im modding my tail lights and want to move the turn signal. i want it to be the brake light, so if i hit the brakes it will be the brake light but if i turn on the turn signal i want the brake to not light the light just the flash of the turn signal.

The trick is to design the circuit so that the turn signal will continue to flash when you are both braking and turning at the same time.

One way is to use a exclusive-or gate function. You can use an electronic digital XOR gate for this. Alternately you can do this with a relay driving the light, by connecting one of the coil connections to the brake light and the other coil connection to the turn signal (you need two relays, one for each direction). Thus when either the turn signal or the brake light is on, the relay (and the light) is on. When both are off or both are on the relay is off. Note that when the brake is applied, the rear turn signal light will be out of phase with the front turn signal (or any turn signal not connected to the relay).

Also note that the one requirement for this to work is that there be a path to ground for the relay coil current to the side that isn't on. If there is no other bulb in the circuit to provide that path, you will have to add a resistor or bulb to ground of appropriate value and power rating.

Yes, that should do what you want.

Or you can do it like they do it in cars. The brake lights are wired from a constant hot lead through a normally contact in the turn signal flasher. The turn "signal" just powers the flasher allowing the signal to blink. There are separate contacts for the marker lights front signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back