Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's different between 24p /20p pc ps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Hi
could you please tell me what is the difference between a pc power supply with 24 pin connector (20pin + 4pin) and the earlier type with only 20 pin connector? ( I'm not reffering to the seprate 4 pin plug that powers the cpu).

Yeah, like Blue said, the more power-hungry boards require a 20+4 or 24-pin connector in addition to the 4-pin CPU power connector. However, some motherboards don't explicitly NEED the 20+4 and will work the same with just the 20-pin. This is the case with my motherboard (Gigabyte EP45-DS4P)

Most any board should work with just the 20-pin connector. The additional pins are just redundant power and ground pins. Hey they have to keep messing with something.
When buying a PSU, look for the dual purpose connector where the extra four pin receptacles can be detached.

That's just typical - I've just bought a new 550W PSU cos the last one blew up (catastrophic failure). I didn't think i could use a 500W 20pin. I suppose it's safer to use the proper connector anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back