Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What us this component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

I am doing some fault finding on a set of hair straighteners. They have a wierd fault, a intermittent connection it seems although it is not the cable. they also make a hissing noise as the power led flashes on and off. I opened them up and it sounded like the hissing might have been coming from this component - what is it?

**broken link removed**

It looks like a 100 nfd. 275 volt across the line capacitor.

Hi Eric, Thanks for the help guys :)

Well I have re-flowed the solder. So its an interference cap is it.... That might explain the light flashing on and off, and the noise they make? They are pretty intermittent. I would say the noise sounds like interference of some sort?

What would you think the resistance should be across a working cap of that value? I will check it tonight when I get home from work.

Also what package is it - if I need to get a replacement?

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Hi Eric, Thanks for the help guys :)

Well I have re-flowed the solder. So its an interference cap is it.... That might explain the light flashing on and off, and the noise they make? They are pretty intermittent. I would say the noise sounds like interference of some sort?

What would you think the resistance should be across a working cap of that value? I will check it tonight when I get home from work.

Also what package is it - if I need to get a replacement?

Thanks all :)

hi,
The cap in the pdf you posted will be OK, ensure that lead spacing on the new cap is same as the old one..
The resistance should be VERY high across the cap when its out of the circuit PCB.

I did not post the Pdf, I can't seem to find that brand on Radio Spares. I will measure the lead spacing though thanks! Plastic film I guess?

So its likely that mine may have gone S/C, or i suppose that would blow the fuse? If it has gone O/C is that likely to cause the issues they appear to have?

Thanks again

Last edited:
For troubleshooting purposes you can run the hair dryer without that cap. It is not a key component.

Well I'm pretty stumped for tonight - I took the cap out of the circuit and it did not function at all. I re-soldered it then the same noise and intermittent LED + heat.

I have recorded a short video from my mobile (all i have got in the shed lol) hopefully you can hear the cracking which corresonds to the LED flashing on and off... Any ideas? Oh the my mulitmeter has a flat battery so I can't measure the cap tonight :(

**broken link removed**

For some reason I can't get your video, but I have heard some strange noises from switches that have poor contacts.

hi Dan,
Your video just hangs up during download.
I did say in an earlier post, that the fault you are describing would not be the 100nF cap.
Like Ronv suggests, a 'dicky' switch contact will give a sizzling sound [ frying bacon], also a poor switch will give off a 'burning' smell.

Hi guys. I should have checked the video maybe I have the wrong location I will check it out when I'm home later.

The switch could well be the issue I guess, although when applying pressure to it the problem still persists. I will re-solder it, if that fails I will re-move and check the switch.

Thanks for the help, you were correct again Eric & ronv :)

For some reason one pole of the switch has a high resistance. Luckily its a double so I have just turned it around now they work

All the best

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back