Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of potentiometer is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyHood

I need to find a replacement for this but my searches on mouser aren't getting me anywhere. It has 5 posts and an off switch that breaks the circuit when turned all the way to one side. The only marking is 10K.

Attachments

• IMG-2753.jpg
    IMG-2753.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG-2750.jpg
    IMG-2750.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 167
Potentiometers with switches used to be very common, but it's been a long time since audio equipment was made with knobs that directly control the volume.

There was a time when the on-off switch on most radios would be operated by turning the knob all the way to one end, but as soon as you want to have remote control, or anything that turns the radio on or off automatically, there can't be a switch like that on the volume knob.

I really can't think of anything less than about 30 years old that uses one of those, so it's going to be hard to find a spare part.

Can you fit a simple potentiometer and wire up a separate switch?

Having said that, ebay has something:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120774177287 which is a logarithmic potentiometer. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254604782512 is a linear one.

If the one you have is vaguely working, you should find out if it is a linear or logarithmic potentiometer. To do that, turn the potentiometer to the mid position, and measure the resistances between the three pins that aren't the switch.

One resistance should be very close to the sum of the other two.

If the other two are within about 10% of each other, it's a linear potentiometer. If not, it's a logarithmic one.

I need to find a replacement for this but my searches on mouser aren't getting me anywhere. It has 5 posts and an off switch that breaks the circuit when turned all the way to one side. The only marking is 10K.
It's a standard old volume control from cheap Japanese/Chinese radios - you can get them from America, we order them at work from there, as we can't source them in the UK.

It will be a log pot, as it's a volume control and on/off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back