Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of connector would I need for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresca

So looking through a bunch of components I have, I found a bunch of LCDs (no idea what kind yet) that have this gold ribbon cable type thing attached to it.

What is that type of cable called and what is the name of a connector for it.

I tried googling smt ribbon cable but that doesnt seem to be it.

I found this picture on sparkfun, its not the same size as the one I need but it should be good enough to get an idea of what type of connector I would need.

SparkFun Electronics - Color LCD TFT 3.5" 320x240

Thanks

It's a ribbon cable, you'll need exact (and I do mean exact) pin spacing dimensions and umber of pins to find the appropriate connector for it.

It's called a Flat Flex cable. FFC. The connector you want is an FFC/FPC Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) or Low Insertion Force (LIF) connector.

The connector spacing are usually pretty standard for regular cable, but can be pretty non standard for peripheral connectors like that.

Price looks nice at $35 for a 320x240 TFT colour lcd.

But looks like it needs some heavy duty code to run it, looking at the driver chip datasheet they have on the page.

Price looks nice at $35 for a 320x240 TFT colour lcd.

But looks like it needs some heavy duty code to run it, looking at the driver chip datasheet they have on the page.

He said that was just an example, not what he was actually looking for.

A good colour LCD is the refurb PSP screen from dealextreme for $20. It still takes a fairly hefty processor to get it going, though.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully sometime this week I can make an order to get some FFC connectors.

thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back