Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to print on a switch button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

In my product, there's a small button that serves two purposes:
1. when pressing it a regular short press, it switches the appliance.
2. when holding it for 3-sec, it performs reset.

So I thought of having it something like:
untitled-jpg.34435

The problem is that the button is too small, therefore the word switch would hardly be seen.
Is there any common term/icon you can print on the button instead of "switch", which will contain less characters, and therefore could be written in larger size?

I was thinking on the Power icon, but i was afraid that the user might think that this button switches the product itself, and not the appliance.
**broken link removed**

Moreover, are there any other common ways to show the user that this button serves two purpoes?
I took this idea from my wireless phone's buttons.

Thank you.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,276
Last edited:
I would just use the power icon. The function of the button should be left to the manual. Use a different style power button for the device's main power. I've always been partial to a simple "I/O" type power switch rather than the stylized universal power symbol. Also I'd go 5 seconds on the reset feature.

or simply use

"RUN/RES"

It points already to the double function of the button.

Last edited:
I would consider using some standardised symbols like ... for small presses and _ for a long press, that at least shows the user the button is press-time controlled.

Maybe ..._ underneath 2 symbols, one for ON and one for RESET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back