Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to do with a 500VAC 30v -30v 8,6A transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexontherocks

What to do with a 500VA 30v -30v 8,6A transformer

Hello. I have already asked for some help with a project where I would like to pursue a specific obejctive (that is to power a 200khz sonar transducer).

In this thread I would like to know what neat project I may accomplish with a toroidal, top quality 230v 500VA (30v -30v 8,6A) transformer.

It is a gift so fire away with any cool idea you may have to make the most out of this brand new transformer. I can have any (reasonably) complex board printed and then can assemble anything myself.

P.s. If it helps I like to tinker with high current DC power supplies to power things like peltiers, Solid state pump lasers and such.

If you need photos let me know.

Last edited:
I believe you mean 500VA (volt-amps, a measure of the power capability of the transformer) and not 500VAC which is 500 volts AC.

You could certainly use it to make a high power, dual output power supply for experimenting. Of course, with that much power available, you would need some hefty power transistors and heat sinks if you built a linear supply. If you aren't concerned about noise than you could build a switching supply for higher efficiency.

Toroidal transformers are used in the power supplies for higher end audio amplifiers, because they reduce leakage flux better than their E-I counterparts. Additionally, they usually offer lower impedance.

Thus, I would use it as the supply of a subwoofer amplifier.

You could get $20 plus shipping from me! I would make sure it was put to good use! :)

or get a wind generator or some solar panels and build a GTI system!:D:)
( some personal bias on that one.);)

Hello. I have already asked for some help with a project where I would like to pursue a specific obejctive (that is to power a 200khz sonar transducer).

In this thread I would like to know what neat project I may accomplish with a toroidal, top quality 230v 500VAC (30v -30v 8,6A) transformer.

It is a gift so fire away with any cool idea you may have to make the most out of this brand new transformer. I can have any (reasonably) complex board printed and then can assemble anything myself.

P.s. If it helps I like to tinker with high current DC power supplies to power things like peltiers, Solid state pump lasers and such.

If you need photos let me know.
Perhaps, you can make a good 0-30V 5 amps Variable power supply for your test bench. one such design has been well moderated by Audioguru and a double sided PCB also designed by another member, ofcourse in another site.
the power supply can have digital Volt and Ammeter and thus would be of good use at your lab.

Hey thanks all for posting. I am sorry for the additional "C". It slipped, I swear :)

As for the projects:

1) power supply..may come in handy but this is a high quality piece and I would end up using it very little in a test power supply (I already have one with 12v 90A - yes by stacking multiple power supplies in parallel configuration)

2) I have no idea what a GTI system is. I am from Milan and here such a transformer costs about 100 euros, more than 130 dollars. No plan of selling it :)

3) A subwoofer sounds good, also an amplificator is this the correct term?) with 2x200w 4ohm channels but then again I have my ipod and am happy with it. I don't even listen to my stereo.

or maybe....

I have a solid state diode laser 40w at 45A and would like to build something dedicated (I also have a 30w laser but total current would rise to almost 80A)

However with your help I was thinking that maybe a 2.0v Variable current power supply could be a good project. 2.1 is the nominal tension for these lasers but it would be best to power them with a gradual increase in current.

I hope I expressed myself correctly (English is not my first language)

Anyway if you have any other idea fire away.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back