Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Security do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrythomas

Hi to all,

I thought it would be interesting to know what security people use (and how successful or not!). I'm assuming that giving this info doesn't put security at risk - perhaps someone could say if it does!

I use

1) Firewall inbuilt in router
2) Sygate firewall is on computer in case of router failure but I turn it off when logged on.
3) Microsoft firewall turned off
4) Avast antivirus
5) Spywareblaster
6)Prevx Intrusion prevention
7) Ewido - not full version which has expired & you have to pay for.

Everything seems fine at the moment. (I recently changed set up as I was getting a few viruses and trojans.)

I use Spybot and Avast. Best way to avoid viruses is to stop looking at adult sites, and downloading pirated software.

Firewall running openbsd with PF, snort and squid. A couple of XP and linux machines behind it with updated patches, firefox (no script, security on "high"), filters for the kids... etc. I run malwarebytes, ccCleaner, adaware and a couple of others frequently. I do not run a virus scanner and rarely have issues. IMHO, they waste too many resources and are always reactive.

Hardware firewall, patched to the last second browser and OS. Suspect downloads are sent through web based virus scanners. Been using the same setup going on 15 years. Only had two virii, one back in the dos days, an the oher a few years ago was me being lax in scanning suspect downloads. I routinly monitor all running processes to figure out what my machine is doing, and from having repaired or had to nuke many friends machines with Virii, I know the symptoms =)

The biggest single tip for security is a hardware firewall with as few external services as possible. Greater than 90% of all virus/trojan/malware infections are deliberately (if not unwittingly) installed by the user. As far as my Son's computer goes I just make good backups, my wife is smart enough to avoid the majority of the nasties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back