Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What part can I replace it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That can't be right; secondary rectifier failure is due to overheating, and excess downstream
currents, such as caused by a filter capacitor short, are certainly a possible cause.
Overheated semiconductors re-diffuse, and that almost always makes short-circuit failures,
such as second-breakdown in power transistors.

You're just making rubbish up, based on vague theoretical ideas, with no basis in reality (and little to none in theory either).

One of the commonest causes of semiconductor failure is thermal cycling.
That is due to differences in expansion between the semiconductor wafer, it's connecting leads, the encapsulant, and possibly with the PCB adding to the stresses, depending on the package type and mounting.

Another is the repeated short-term overloads at switch-on, if the components are not rated adequately to allow for the brief current spikes as other parts charge up to their operating voltages; again, a thermal shock effect.

Neither needs an external fault condition to cause the failure.
and occasionally you get a semiconductor fail from thermal failure when the thermal grease between it and it's heat sink dries out... but that's not a very common occurrence... usually happens in old equipment, or equipment that's run for a long time with insufficient ventilation.

I could not find the issue unfortunately so I decided to send it in to repair shop. Costs around 220 EUR to have it fixed. Tried to replace the PWM IC and the output rectifier to no avail.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back