Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What motor to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Brett

The robot I am building has a rotatable wrist joint that I had intended to use a stepper motor to drive. This motor I obtained from a CD player but when I tried, it was not up to the job. The hand weighs about five Kilo with a 8mm drive shaft running in ball races.As it only has to turn a quarter and back again a motor and gearbox seems a bit of an overkill.
As you can guess I am new to this so am seeking advice .I have some powerful 90 volt solenoids or do you think I should try a more powerful stepper motor or perhaps a servo.
Cheers Mike

Where did you find a stepper motor in a CD player?, I don't think I've ever seen one?.

I would have though an RC servo would be ideal for the job?.

Last edited:
my mistake

Hi Nigel
Perhaps it was not from a CD player then, it is not very big as stepper motors go. I brought a stepper driver kit to use with it, could this be used to power a servo, and would a servo have the necessary torque.
Mike

Hi Nigel
Perhaps it was not from a CD player then, it is not very big as stepper motors go. I brought a stepper driver kit to use with it, could this be used to power a servo, and would a servo have the necessary torque.
Mike

Stepper motors are only fairly weak, a standard RC servo is a LOT more powerful for the same size, and EXACTLY what's needed for the movement you're looking for, it's made for the job.

Hi Nigel
Ok I am convinced, a servo sounds ideal, and Maplins sell one for about a tenner. But is there an easy way to power it, I assume my stepper driver is no good , so does that mean I have to use radio control circuits.
Mike

Hi Nigel
Ok I am convinced, a servo sounds ideal, and Maplins sell one for about a tenner. But is there an easy way to power it, I assume my stepper driver is no good , so does that mean I have to use radio control circuits.
Mike

A servo just needs a regular pulse every 20mS or so, the width of the pulse (1-2mS) sets the position of the servo, it's as easy as that.

Nigel
I now understand what it takes to drive the servo and have found the circuits I need, we live and learn. Many thanks for your help.
All the best Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back