Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what microphone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Hello all, I was reading about those parabolic ear things the other day, and I got curcious. what kind of microphone do those things use? Is it a special kind, or does the parabolic ear just have huge gain?

zachtheterrible said:
Hello all, I was reading about those parabolic ear things the other day, and I got curcious. what kind of microphone do those things use? Is it a special kind, or does the parabolic ear just have huge gain?

The microphone is nothing different, it's just that the dish focuses the sound from a larger area onto the microphone - the larger the dish the better!.

Old Satellite Dishes work good. 8 foot is great, but not very practical. However the 3 foot ones are pretty good, but most of them do not have a 90 degree recieve path, so it requires some getting used to.

Additionally, putting a second Small Parabolic behind the mic is also a good idea.

Dynamic or Condensor Mic's give a good response. Pizo Mic's are Tinny Sounding.

An Amplifier with some Active Filters is useful. Bandpass, Low Pass and High Pass, to reject unwanted noises.

I have built many of these devices and can possibly give you further info, if needed. Just e-mail me.

Take care..........Gary

hey thanx. ill give u a email wen im ready. when you said to put a second parabolic behind it, what do you mean by that? another dish? Thanx

Ideally, a Small Dish (Parabolic, or not) directly behind the mic, as well as protruding around the sides of the mic, just a little bit.

This second dish catches any signals that miss the mic and reflect them back into the parabolic. Also If it protrudes around the sides of the mic, it helps stop unwanted sounds and wind from hitting the mic.

Take care........Gary

No Parabolic Microphone plans on it yet, but my website is:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back