Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What lab. power supply to select

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm about to get me a new lab. power supply, but what are the pros and cons on a "normal" power supply and a switching power supply.

Thanks

For a lab supply a "normal" linear supply is usually preferred since it has lower noise for powering analog circuits, even though it is less efficient. But if you are only going to power digital circuits, or the power requirements are very large, where the inefficiency of a linear supply is a problem, then you can go with a switching supply.

You did not say what your volateg and current requirements are. I think a good lab supply is a 0-20V/3A supply, with two outputs so you can do dual rails. I prefer linears under 100W because of noise and EMI.

I also considered the noise problem with switching supplies, but I need a "general" power supply that can also provide a lot of current to motors, so I'm going to use a transformer supply. Thanks

I also considered the noise problem with switching supplies, but I need a "general" power supply that can also provide a lot of current to motors, so I'm going to use a transformer supply. Thanks
Both linear and switching supplies use transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back