Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of temperature sensor is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysZe

Hi! Does any one of you know which type of component is this? It was labeled as a thermocouple, but it appears to me that it is more likely a thermistor... It has no such thing as a serial number or anything, which makes the identification process even harder.

WIN_20190321_13_10_56_Pro.jpg

Strain gauge, my guess.

What is it in?
How is it used?
Where is it mounted?
Is the sensor part in an air stream?
Is the sensor part in physical contact with anything?
What do the wires connect to?

Strain gauge, my guess.
At a quick glance it does look similar to a strain gauge, but it is not like any strain gauge that I have ever seen.

It could be some kind of thin film resistive temperature sensor.
Can you measure its resistance?
If you can, measure the resistance at room temperature, then warm it up for a few minutes by holding it with your fingers and then measure the resistance again.
Report back here and tell us what the two resistance readings are.

JimB

What is it in?
How is it used?
Where is it mounted?
Is the sensor part in an air stream?
Is the sensor part in physical contact with anything?
What do the wires connect to?

Thanks for your replies!

So, the problem is that it was a spare part, so it wasn't connected to anything and there was nothing indicating its former use. I checked its resistance at room temp. and it was ~400kOhm, once I heated up its resistance droped a few kOhms. (to ~377k). Having this NTC and by the look of it I supposed it would be a thermistor, but do you think it can be a stress gauge?

I checked its resistance at room temp. and it was ~400kOhm, once I heated up its resistance droped a few kOhms. (to ~377k). Having this NTC and by the look of it I supposed it would be a thermistor,
Yes, that sounds as though it is a thermistor.

do you think it can be a stress gauge?
No.
The resistance is too high for any strain gauge which I have seen/used. 350 Ohm is a common value of resistance.
It would be a very poor strain gauge if it was so temperature sensitive.
The physical format is wrong for a foil type strain gauge.
Look at this:
https://www.omega.co.uk/googlebase/...MIvMfKjNmT4QIVDp3tCh2u1QmUEAQYASABEgLSw_D_BwE

JimB

That is the typical response of a thermistor type temperature detector.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back