• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this???

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Its a POTentiometer, or a variable capacitor. I bought something that looked like that from a store for 50 cents canadian. It was a 1-12pF variable capacitor.


New Member
well guys, thanks for the help, i pretty much figured it was either a variable cap or resistor but wasnt too sure.
ill take it as being a variable cap like you said 1-12pf.



Dean Huster

Well-Known Member
Cap OR pot ..... hmmmm.

There are only two terminals on the device, so I'd assume it to be a trimmer cap.

Most trimmer pots have three terminals, although you can find some from the 1960's (e.g., those used in a Simpson 260 Series 5 VOM) that had only two leads and were used in the configuration of a rheostat -- nothing more than a variable resistance vs. a potentiometer. But these days, you just don't see those 2-terminal resistors anymore.

Thought I'd throw those thoughts in since the posts never really did nail down that it was one device or the other. You know, a quick check with an ohmmeter across the leads will provide you with the definitive answer: an open means it's a variable cap (or a defective pot!) while a resistance will assure you that it's a variable resistor and turning the adjustment should change the value.

Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles