Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this pin called? Where can I get this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

I need to somehow acquire a pin or male header that looks like the one attached. It is from a fat PS3 that connects to the power supply. It is the the same shape as a ground pin on a power cable (also attached) but is slighly smaller. Does anybody know the name of this pin? It doesn't have to be a 2 pin header like on the PS3, just any pin that is the same shape and size so I can solder a wire to it (I'm trying to make the ps3 power supply external).

Attachments

• Power-supply-cord-round-ground-pin-A94D.jpg
    Power-supply-cord-round-ground-pin-A94D.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 165
  • ps3_open14_engadget_howto.jpg
    ps3_open14_engadget_howto.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 165
I'm not sure it necessarily has a name; probably the easiest way to "obtain" it would be to measure its diameter (using a caliper or similar device), then try to find some steel or brass rod the same diameter, and cut/machine it to size...

I'm not sure it necessarily has a name; probably the easiest way to "obtain" it would be to measure its diameter (using a caliper or similar device), then try to find some steel or brass rod the same diameter, and cut/machine it to size...

Is there a website where I can buy steel or brass rods by diameter size?

Don't know where you are, but many good hardware stores have metal rod, as well as hobby shops (those few that are left). Should be no need to mail order it, unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Its the same as this one on the lead in the photo, that is used in Australia on mains appliances that are not 240 volt, like HID lamps that have a ballest control.

The flat pins are a standard Australian mains plug configuration and the round pin is just the earth, so if the earth is not required a standard Australian 2 pin mains plug would do, as these are common for double insulated appliances.

I have bought them from electrical contractor suppliers as per the one in the photo.

The white plug is a travel adaptor for use in other countrys power points and coul be easy changed to suit by twisting the flat pins with some plisers.
That might allow you to find a travel adaptor to change the plug to a common style to your location.

Pete.

Attachments

• Mains plugs.JPG
    Mains plugs.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back