Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this antenna called? Does it really work? What is wifi adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen those before on TV. I believe they're called death rays.

Attachments

• 2b0105856600fa90f74017f40c9d5089.jpg
    2b0105856600fa90f74017f40c9d5089.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 131
  • brain.png
    brain.png
    252.2 KB · Views: 133
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 108
Its a yagi disc.
yes it probably does work if built correctly.

Well, I admit that I'm no RF or antenna engineer...

The coax braid is soldered to the first disk.
The coax center wire is soldered to the second disc.
Those two discs are directly connected to the center bolt, and are therefore shorted to each other. (or did I miss an insulation step?)

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Those two discs are directly connected to the center bolt, and are therefore shorted to each other. (or did I miss an insulation step?)

I dunno. Antennas are weird things to begin with

Last edited:
Nope. Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see any link.

Edit: I hit "quote" on the original post to see what was there, and saw that it was Facebook media. So my ad blocker probably intercepted it.

Last edited:
No. I'm on my Mac running Firefox.
Anyway, don't worry about it. I rarely have the patience to watch giant videos.

RF is black magic.

As a quick and dirty explanation:
Something which is an odd multiple of a quarter wavelength long behaves like an open circuit.
Something which is a multiple of a half wavelength long behaves like a short circuit.

JimB

As has already been said, it's a Yagi aerial, just with discs rather than rods - but I've no idea what effect that change will have? - a normal Yagi is polarised by the rods, so this 'presumably' will cover horizontal, vertical, or anywhere in between. However using slant (45 degree) polarisation on a Yagi means it receives both Horizontal and Vertical (FM radio is often broadcast as slant for that very reason) - BUT - you don't get something for nothing, and you make a 6dB loss in either case. I suspect the same will apply to this one.

However, it will work fine (if built correctly) and greatly improve range - but obviously directionally.

Saw this one years ago; what do y'all think of it?

It looks like part of a short backfire array, but missing the reflector.

The complete ones were relatively low gain, but good for anti-ghosting - we fitted many of them (the Wolsey Colour King) in areas where ghosting was a problem.

Without the reflector it's going to be considerably lower gain, but bi-directional.

for a yagi, connecting the disks to the transmission line that way makes no sense. there should be one disk connected to the transmission line. this would be the driven element. all disks behind the D.E. are reflectors, and all in front are directors. yagi antennas can have all the elements except the D.E. connected directly to the metal axial support. the D.E. should be a ring, or a disk split down the middle with one side connected to the coax shield, and the other side connected to the center wire

These are $12 free postage on ebay. My son has 1 he get wifi from McDonalds up the street. LOL That is the place it eats most often. Good customers get free wifi if they live close enough. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back