Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the voltage rating on car motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvk2

Hey, I just took out a motor from an old RC toy car, I was going to use this to build a mini-fan. Anyone know how much voltage these motors are rated at? I'm talking about those teenie motors with a silver covering on them.

That's kind of impossible to tell without at least looking at it, there are all different kinds. Are there any numbers on it?

Two things you can do:
1. Get a voltmeter and test the voltage at the motor. Take the motor out of the circuit to get a correct reading though, because the motor will create a voltage drop, giving you an incorrect reading.

2. What kind of batteries do you put in the car? If it is 3 AA's, then the voltage that the car uses is 4.5V. Try hooking the motor up to 1 volt, then 2 volt, 3, then 4.5v, but don't exceed 4.5v because that is the maximum possible voltage that the motor runs on. You'll have to be the judge of what voltage the motor runs best at.

Motors are pretty flexible when it comes to different power sources.

I took it out of one those cars that run on tracks...the motor has no markings on it other than the company's name.

rvk2 said:
I took it out of one those cars that run on tracks...the motor has no markings on it other than the company's name.

well then its even simpler. just stick a voltmeter in the track and find the voltage. Also, look in the car to see if there is anything other than the motor, possibly a resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back