Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the trick for soldering Litz wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I have a piece of Litz wire that is about 100 feet long. The Litz wire is made of 10 tiny wires .004" diameter each wire. I folded it in half several times to get a piece of wire 32" long. The wire is made up of 32 pieces of Litz wire = 320 strans of .004 wire.

I have been trying to solder the ends but not having much luck. I tried to burn off the enamel coating on the wire with a small propane torch but it melts the wires. I tried lower heat it burns off the enamel coating but leaves the wires black and solder will not stick. I tried plumber flux to clean the wires but solder still will not stick.

I cut the wire end off and tried again with a new solder gun tip and solder. Enamel coating burns black, wires are black, solder will not stick.

Sounds challenging. I've never had to do it. I have enough trouble stripping the enamel off of solid magnet wire. But, this reference says to use a solder pot. The solder melts the wire and the contaminations stay behind due to surface tension of the solder in the pot. And, a horizontal motion is used. At least that is the claim. I'll bet you have to practice to get good at it.

**broken link removed**

Besides a Solder Pot, A GOOD Solder Flux is Also Required.

In all likelihood the insulation is "solderable." In the unlikely event the insulation is one of the non-solderable types (that is, it is not removed at normal solder temperature), you can dip it in molten NaOH/NaNO3. I use a little steel block that has a hole bored in it:

upload_2015-2-14_22-13-40.png

The amount of NaNO3 that you use is not critical. Use 10% to 25%. There will be vigorous bubbling as the insulation is destroyed. The copper comes out bright clean, but darkens quickly. Rinse with water. Flux, of course, helps solder it.

John

Last edited:
The litz I use has "solder ease" insulation. At soldering temperature the insulation goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back