Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the purpose of this resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubbsta

Hey guys, I’m in the process of learning how to use an oscilloscope. I was curious, what is the purpose of this resistor, and what’s the reasoning for having the probes set up like this? The diagram is for testing a wheel speed sensor. Thanks!

Attachments

• C0E4D95E-6651-499B-A7F1-721CE7CC9895.jpeg
    C0E4D95E-6651-499B-A7F1-721CE7CC9895.jpeg
    8.6 MB · Views: 206
The output circuit is an open emitter (source) and the 100Ω resistor is the load. It completes the circuit and allows the oscilloscope to "see" the output signal. So, with the resistor in place the output circuit is referred to as a common collector (drain), or alternatively an emitter follower. The output device could be either a BJT or a MOSFET

The output circuit is an open emitter (source) and the 100Ω resistor is the load. It completes the circuit and allows the oscilloscope to "see" the output signal. So, with the resistor in place the output circuit is referred to as a common collector (drain), or alternatively an emitter follower. The output device could be either a BJT or a MOSFET
Thank you, that makes perfect sense! I spent a good portion of the day capturing waveforms from various sensors and this was the first sensor that required it to be hooked up like that. Lots of trial and error messing around with the settings to get what i wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back