Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the name of this piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I've an axle where there is a rotating disc. I know there is a piece that you can attach to that disc and that piece will rotate in opposite direction. Imagine the disc rotates CW, so the piece will rotate CCW.
Do you know the name of that piece?

I'm seeing pictures in Google and it's not the tool I'm refering to.
If I want to attach a gear, I need to put the gear in another motor shaft. This tool I'm refering to, can be used in the same shaft and it will rotate in opposite direction to the original disc attached to the same shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicyclic, or sometimes called Planetary, gears configured in a star arrangement? Both the input and output shafts are in the same plane, but rotate in the opposite direction to each other :)

Epicyclic, or sometimes called Planetary, gears configured in a star arrangement? Both the input and output shafts are in the same plane, but rotate in the opposite direction to each other :)
I think it's. That tool has a name or simply I've to use some gears in a specific configuration?

Not exactly. I know this tool is used in Whimshurst machines to obtain 2 discs rotating in opposite directions.

The Wimshurst generator I built about 10 years ago used two pulleys (one on each disc), and a single drive shaft. Then two belts connected the pulleys to the drive shaft, but one was twisted 180 degrees (making an X )

I was going to guess differential too. But maybe he's talking about just the internal gear set to do an inline shaft reversal?
images

Basically the parts 1,3,4,5 but with the frame (5) fixed and without the input gears (2 and 6)?

I think OP was looking for a gear that acually existed only in his imagination of the Whimshurst machine.

Ring and Pinion as found in a differential?

Ron

I've an axle where there is a rotating disc. I know there is a piece that you can attach to that disc and that piece will rotate in opposite direction. Imagine the disc rotates CW, so the piece will rotate CCW.
Do you know the name of that piece?

Pinch Roller ?

It sounds like your describing 2 counter rotationg discs? 2 disks are parallel to each other, 1 turns CW the other 1 turns CCW.

Last edited:
I think theres a hydraulic or fluid type clutch coupling that does something like that.
A reluctor inbetween the turbine in the centre driven by the motor directs fluid to the outer rotor, and is able to control speed (coupling co-efficient) and direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back