Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the maximum Timer can i get ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Most of Emergency lights in our houses fail to work at the right time. Because their Batteries have not exercise charge/discharge for long time, they are not able to take over or in luck cases, they start but end after a short time.

An idea came to my mind to make a SIMPLE timer circuit that will auto-exercise them by turning their power Off / On frequently.

The question is: What is the maximum time can I get of a timer ? even if it is not accurate. One week will be very nice. But is that possible ?

Or a simple CMOS oscillator counter like the CD4060 - very useful if you don't want to program and ICs.

Frankly, Ive got tired of the short life span of most rechargables and have gone to dynamo powered torches. A few cranks keeps them with some charge and when the power does go off a few more keeps them going for 1/2 an hour by which time I can start the genset.

Super_voip said:
Frankly, Ive got tired of the short life span of most rechargables and have gone to dynamo powered torches. A few cranks keeps them with some charge and when the power does go off a few more keeps them going for 1/2 an hour by which time I can start the genset.

I am looking for such device in local market with no hope. I am living in a small island where if anything not available in the market, you have to use EXPRESS mail, that doubles the cost and makes it worthless ( around $40 )

I found another circuit promise to make 20 Hours laps, but with this cost will exced PIC price:eek: . the circuit is attached and this is the site link:

**broken link removed**

Thanks

Attachments

• 20 hours Timer.JPG
    20 hours Timer.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,246
I think we can acheive long delays of several hours by using a low frequency oscillator and a binary counter.

may be we can use one stage of a schmitt trigger inverter as a square wave oscillator to produce very low frequency...

then we can use a 12 stage binary counter likke the CD4040, where the frequency will divided by 2 at each successive stage... i believe we can get a good delay time before the final stage of CD4040 switches to the high state....

aljamri said:
Thanks Nigel, but for the cost ($0.4) and availability, I'll go for Hero999 suggestion, cheaper and easy to build. I got its circuit

https://www.coolcircuit.com/circuit/timer_4060/timer.GIF

https://www.coolcircuit.com/circuit/timer_4060/

even this will not fully solve my problem since the maximum time is 320 Minute (5 hours 20 minute).

It says to get more time cascade another Ic. My question is: it says that

T = 2.2 x R2 x C2

Then why don't we simply play with R2 and C2 values?

Yes, play with the RC values, for example increasing C to 10:mu:F would doulble the delay.

You could also use the CD4521 which has a 24-bit counter.

Also checkout the CD4536 and CD4541 which are designed for this.

Hero999 said:
Yes, play with the RC values, for example increasing C to 10:mu:F would doulble the delay.

You could also use the CD4521 which has a 24-bit counter.

Also checkout the CD4536 and CD4541 which are designed for this.

I found CD4541 @ Futurlec.com for $0.45 i'll order it and play with RC circuit to get maximum dealy possible.

Thanks for all

You still haven't said what delay you require.

If you set the oscillator frequency to 1Hz on a CD4541 and used all of the stages, it would give you a delay of 2^24 seconds or 194 days, 4 hours, 20 miniutes and 16 seconds.

I don't know what the minimum frequency the of the oscillator is but I suppose its possible to get delays of over ten years if you really want.

The only problem is capacitors aren't very accurate, 10% at best, so a calculated ten year delay might be anywhere inbetween 9 and 11 years.

The oscillator capacitor in a CD4060 and CD4541 is supposed to be non-polar. The article uses a polarized 4.7uF electrolytic capacitor which is wrong.

I don't know, I didn't check the datasheet.

Anyway, you can get non-polarised electrolyics with values up to 470:mu:F. The problem with any RC oscillator is the leakage current in the capacitor which might make electrolytics problematic.

Two polarized electrolytic capacitors connected in series and back-to-back make a non-polar capacitor half the value.

Hero999 said:
You still haven't said what delay you require.

If you set the oscillator frequency to 1Hz on a CD4541 and used all of the stages, it would give you a delay of 2^24 seconds or 194 days, 4 hours, 20 miniutes and 16 seconds.

I don't know what the minimum frequency the of the oscillator is but I suppose its possible to get delays of over ten years if you really want.

The only problem is capacitors aren't very accurate, 10% at best, so a calculated ten year delay might be anywhere inbetween 9 and 11 years.

not exact period but if i can make it ON once every week say for half an hour, this will make the Batteris in a better case.

audioguru said:
Two polarized electrolytic capacitors connected in series and back-to-back make a non-polar capacitor half the value.

negative-to-negative? like the attached config.?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 298
It doesn't make any difference whether you connect them negative to negative or positive to positive.

Anyway you shouldn't need an electyrolytic capacitor with the CD4521 as the delays you're talking about can be easily implemented with a ceramic capacitor which is non-polarised.

You really need a counter with more bits than 16 for the longer delay, I'd go for 24-bit minimum.

EDIT:
You could also try the 74HC5555.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/74hc5555.pdf

Some of these ICs are hard to find as MCUs have replaced them in many applications, here's the datasheet for the CD4536 which has a 24-bit counter.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/cd4536b.pdf

Also it's still made.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back