Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the maximum average power draw of this class D amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amplifier has no detailed specs. 2 x 4000 Watts at what amount of distortion?
Very low distortion into 4 ohms at what amount of power?
Continuous low distortion Watts or peak Watts (double the real number)?

The maximum power requirement is rated at 2 x 16A at 120VAC, which is 3840 watts including heat output.
Then if its heating is 20% (768W) its distorted output per channel is (3840 - 768)/2= 1536W and at low distortion might be 1229 continuous Watts per channel at low distortion.

Thanks....what power level of offline SMPS do you think will be inside the case to power it?

The bottom of this page seems to agree with what you say..(it says 1250W/channel), ie 2.5kw

The FFA8000 is only 50cm x 50cm x 9cm....i cant see there being two class D stages and an offline SMPS inside there..?

Last edited:
Thanks....what power level of offline SMPS do you think will be inside the case to power it?

The bottom of this page seems to agree with what you say..(it says 1250W/channel), ie 2.5kw

The FFA8000 is only 50cm x 50cm x 9cm....i cant see there being two class D stages and an offline SMPS inside there..?

It's two mono amplifiers, so there's got to be two amplifiers, and two power supplies - must say I'm quite amused it has two separate mains leads :D

While the specs are pretty useless (and meaningless - you can't get 4000W from a 13A plug, only 3000W), I would imagine it's still pretty powerful, or it wouldn't need two mains leads.

Thanks, yes

This page

at the bottom, states that a FFA8000 has two channels, so thats 2.5kW, 4.8kW or 8kW depending on speak Z.

....But that simply cannot be true....i've worked on 3kW fan cooled SMPS that run off UK 3phase 6 pulse rectifiers, (so no Boost PFC)...and they are BIG!.....Bigger than 50cm x 50cm x 9 cm....

...the power levels they are banding about cant be anywhere near the actual......i recon the FFA8000 uses an 8kW/8 = 1000kW offline SMPS, ..if that.....in fact, more likely a 500W one with a big output cap bank...what do you think?

Thanks, yes

This page

at the bottom, states that a FFA8000 has two channels, so thats 2.5kW, 4.8kW or 8kW depending on speak Z.

....But that simply cannot be true....i've worked on 3kW fan cooled SMPS that run off UK 3phase 6 pulse rectifiers, (so no Boost PFC)...and they are BIG!.....Bigger than 50cm x 50cm x 9 cm....

...the power levels they are banding about cant be anywhere near the actual......i recon the FFA8000 uses an 8kW/8 = 1000kW offline SMPS, ..if that.....in fact, more likely a 500W one with a big output cap bank...what do you think?
As I've already said, the maximum you can get from a 13A plug is 3000W - so assuming 100% (impossible) efficiency you could only get 3000W per channel. Class D is efficient, so perhaps 2500W per channel is quite doable?. You really need to see inside one - but 50cm x 50cm is a BIG amplifier, so I don't forsee any issue with it's size, as it's obviously designed for it's slim size.

The new specs for the amplifier says "With 1% distortion (which is fairly high clipping distortion) the output per channel is 4000W into 2 ohms". The maximum output voltage is 150V peak per channel which is 106V RMS which produces (106V squared)/2 ohms= 5618W into 2 ohms per channel which is not possible.

An audio amplifier is supposed to be rated with continuous sinewave output over a frequency range from 20Hz to 20kHz at a low distortion of 0.1% or less. They say only at 1kHz and with 1% distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back