Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the attraction to old threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Most Helpful Member
Using this thread as an example what is the attraction for new members to old and ancient threads? Yes, I can understand sometimes adding new information to an old thread where it may benefit the overall thread content but I don't see that in the linked thread. Often new members come in and dig out an ancient thread, add a few words and place an old thread at the top of the pile. What's with that? If an oven controller board mystery transformer has not been fixed in close to ten years I would guess the thread is done, well done. :)

Ron

I can't answer for anyone but me. But when first getting into this stuff, when I found a thread that was close or on topic to what I was doing, I posted to it. Because -
1. I was so happy to finally find something, after searching for so long.
2. I didn't know any better, to look at the dates.

I would suggest they get to the threads from google, and not by actually looking up old threads on the forum.
I agree as to Google Nigel. However, then after finding a thread on Google they still need to join the forum in order to post in it. I can see adding, even to an older thread when there is something constructive to add but using the thread I sited I see nothing new or constructive. Just one of those things that beats the heck out of me. :)

Ron

I agree as to Google Nigel. However, then after finding a thread on Google they still need to join the forum in order to post in it. I can see adding, even to an older thread when there is something constructive to add but using the thread I sited I see nothing new or constructive. Just one of those things that beats the heck out of me. :)

Ron

It is not just here. Having been a Mod in another forum, I see this all the time. There are several reasons;

You'd be surprised how many "one post wonders" (young & old) are simply oblivious to the dates.---Even if it is flat out posted on the first page.
For one reason or another, there is the urge to respond especially when he/she is faced with the same situation.
It tends to go in spurts--as if a whole set of new comers just joined the internet forums.. not counting language barriers.

It is not just here. Having been a Mod in another forum, I see this all the time. There are several reasons;

You'd be surprised how many "one post wonders" (young & old) are simply oblivious to the dates.---Even if it is flat out posted on the first page.
For one reason or another, there is the urge to respond especially when he/she is faced with the same situation.
It tends to go in spurts--as if a whole set of new comers just joined the internet forums.. not counting language barriers.
Now that you mention it I wouldn't really be surprised. Years ago I moderated in the old Maximum PC forums and saw it all the time. Guess I just never thought back that far. :) Yes, pretty much exactly as you described.

Ron

I moderate another forum and find a lot of bumped posts are by bots.

This morning in another forum. The thread was not real old but the thread title was:
How do i increase the frequency range of a radio ( receiver )

Here is this mornings reply:
"The measure of flavor that curry has relies upon what spices are incorporated. Many curry powder formulas call for cayenne powder, which contains capsaicin and can be very red hot".

I removed the link in the word "spices".

Ron

"The measure of flavor that curry has relies upon what spices are incorporated. Many curry powder formulas call for cayenne powder, which contains capsaicin and can be very red hot".

There was nothing in accurate in that response. I don't see the problem.

Using this thread as an example what is the attraction for new members to old and ancient threads? Yes, I can understand sometimes adding new information to an old thread where it may benefit the overall thread content but I don't see that in the linked thread. Often new members come in and dig out an ancient thread, add a few words and place an old thread at the top of the pile. What's with that? If an oven controller board mystery transformer has not been fixed in close to ten years I would guess the thread is done, well done. :)

Ron

I set a calendar reminder to add some random post to this thread on Aug 12 2021.

Actually right up in the forum guide it says search to see if your question has been answered before, before posting, so it's setting up the new user for this happening, really.

I set a calendar reminder to add some random post to this thread on Aug 12 2021.
Set a calendar to do another Cracker Barrel lunch or dinner before we are butt deep in snow. :) This time we need to get Spinaker involved.

Ron

Set a calendar to do another Cracker Barrel lunch or dinner before we are butt deep in snow. :) This time we need to get Spinaker involved.

Ron

I'm driving to Detroit every month or two. Maybe we can connect.

back in 2011/2012 when i was originally active on this forum, i had a couple of "awards" i would post on threads that deserved it, such as the "Marvin the Martian 'I'm going to blow up the earth, it obstructs my view of Venus'" award, which was for threads where somebody was wanting to build a jammer, or some kind of gadget to mess with their neighbors, usually of the "i want to use a microwave oven magnetron to blow up my neighbor's stereo system because they play their music too loud" variety, or the "Wile E. Coyote Super Genius" award for threads where the goal was to construct something like a 5KW power inverter, or something unsafe like running a project off of a capacitive AC divider (running almost anything directly from wall current with no isolation is usually a very bad idea). more recently, i came up with an "award" for "exhuming" dead threads:
200w.gif

the Victor Frankenstein (that's Frankensteen) Reanimated Dead Thread Award.

To be a really good curry such as murgh makhani, the sauce should have plenty of yogurt and butter, not too much coconut milk and needs cardamom and a bit of coriander, clove, cinnamon and fenugreek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back