Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is smart sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you hear about it? Any more details of what that sensor does or senses?

I've seen the term "smart sensor" applied when a sensor is coupled to some electronics for filtering, communications or other processing.

A thermistor might be regarded as a sensor. A thermistor that is packaged with some electronics to account for non-linearity might be regarded as a smart sensor.

from what you say it is a sensor with some added electronics so that it can perform a specicif functio. like you said a termistor with some circuits to make it linear, or a temperature sensor that has a sensor, mesuring circuit and a AD converter all in one package.

bogdan ... that's the way I've seen the term used by people who are selling or otherwise describing electronic systems. I've seen some with electronics (presume microprocessor) that allow field programming for range, time delay, etc. I guess it's a way to differentiate between the traditional dumb sensor. Like other terminology it may also be misapplied too.

ok, i think i can help.
i checked my electronics dictionary and it says that it is a sensor that alco contains a microprocessor that processes thae data taken from the sensible element and and then it is send to the output. so you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back