Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

estar82

It's maybe a funny question but in fact, this is the first time I've met this word. If some one can, please tell me What is PIC, its role as well as its applications? If you can, please recommend me one simple project using PIC!

Thank you very much!

estar82 said:
It's maybe a funny question but in fact, this is the first time I've met this word. If some one can, please tell me What is PIC, its role as well as its applications? If you can, please recommend me one simple project using PIC!

Thank you very much!
The PIC was designed (it means 'Peripheral Interface Controller') to take the burden of small tasks away from a microprocessor, in the same way that a UART does with communications.

The early ones I encountered were pretty limited in what they could do (no interrupts - even for a timer) but current versions are capable of all the things other microcontrollers can do.

For applications - you name it, and a PIC is available to do it. They are easy to program once you have mastered the instruction set and you can reprogram them again and again for different applications. They are an experimenters delight!

I prefer 89C2051 than PIC16F84 because I consider it superior than PIC in every aspect except speed. Most of the PICs do not have in-built math instructions i.e. multiply and divide though it can be done through software tricks. Other disadvantage is in my country PIC16F84 is costlier than 89C2051. It has less I/O (not a real problem - other variants are available). There are several other advantages of 89C2051 like on-chip UART and more if you can find them comparing the datasheets.
And finally, 8051 has been the most widely used family of mirocontrollers for more than 20 years.

kinjalgp said:
I prefer 89C2051 than PIC16F84 because I consider it superior than PIC in every aspect except speed. Most of the PICs do not have in-built math instructions i.e. multiply and divide though it can be done through software tricks. Other disadvantage is in my country PIC16F84 is costlier than 89C2051. It has less I/O (not a real problem - other variants are available). There are several other advantages of 89C2051 like on-chip UART and more if you can find them comparing the datasheets.
And finally, 8051 has been the most widely used family of mirocontrollers for more than 20 years.
It's a long time since I used an 8051, kinjalgp. It had no A/D then. Is there one of the family that has it now?

There are not less than 500 variants of 8051 and some with in-built ADCs, PWM, I2C ports and other featured hardware.
For parametric search on 8051 family visit this awsome page:
https://www.keil.com/dd/parm_search.asp
It really helps in selecting the right uController for your application.

On searching this page found 148 Variants that has inbuilt ADC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back