Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is GPIB and HPIB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

May i know if GPIB and HPIB is the same?
Is it the same as USB? Please advise. Thanks.
Another term for it is called: IEEE?

shermaine said:
May i know if GPIB and HPIB is the same?
Is it the same as USB? Please advise. Thanks.
Another term for it is called: IEEE?

Nothing like USB - GPIB is a very old computer interfacing standard (General Purpose Interfacing Bus - if I remember correctly) - probably over 30 years old by now. Hewlett Packard used to use it in their 1970's computers, so presumably HPIB is a later HP specific version?.

GPIB was an International standard interface, it also had an IEEExxxx number - but I can't remember what it was.

It's still used today on test equipment, top range scopes and other gear tend to have it, so the entire test sequence can be automated with a computer.

Nigel Goodwin said:
... so presumably HPIB is a later HP specific version?.

Right. They operate basically the same, there were some HP specific commands added, if I recall.

Nigel Goodwin said:
GPIB was an International standard interface, it also had an IEEExxxx number - but I can't remember what it was.

IEEE-488 is the designation. Probably has a letter suffix added by now.

JB

We have GPIB adapters that allow us to access the displays of our 'scopes across the network in a java applet at school. It might be old, but it works awesome.

follow this link. All is explained and more about the origins and specifications on GPIB and USB

hope it helps

**broken link removed**

andy

im currently doing a GPIB to RS232 translator using PIC18F2550. but still doesn't work and still on stage of debugging. anybody tried doing this on PIC?

i want to do this so that user could have option to do tests using RS232 or stand-alone with the PIC who becomes the CIC (Controller in Charge) of the GPIB devices.

My understanding was that HPIB came first, because HP pioneered it, and then GPIB came afterwards as other companies decided to make a proper standard. I could well be completely wrong though as I've nothing to back that up! I must have heard it off someone somewhere.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
My understanding was that HPIB came first, because HP pioneered it, and then GPIB came afterwards as other companies decided to make a proper standard. I could well be completely wrong though as I've nothing to back that up! I must have heard it off someone somewhere.

Brian
that is also the information i read about transformation of HPIB to GPIB name.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
I think the old Commodre PET had a GPIB bus.

Yes it does believe it or not. We still have one at work and you will laugh here but we still use it for some applications. The software is stored oh 5" floppy disks. No one has the time to translate the system over so we still use it for some tests.

We tend to hide it from customers when they visit out of shear embarassment.

:)

Andy

andy257 said:
Yes it does believe it or not. We still have one at work and you will laugh here but we still use it for some applications. The software is stored oh 5" floppy disks. No one has the time to translate the system over so we still use it for some tests.

We tend to hide it from customers when they visit out of shear embarassment.

:)

Andy

But then again, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
If it is fit for purpose, then use it.

JimB

JimB said:
But then again, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
If it is fit for purpose, then use it.

JimB

Agreed - but I'd love to see a picture of that. It would most definitely be worth a chuckle.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back