Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is anti parellel SCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone tell me what are anti parellel SCRs ? read it

Its when the anode of one SCR is connected to the cathode of the other and vice versa. [the SCR's point in opposite directions and are connected in parallel]

So you have two SCR 's that will function like a TRIAC.

OK.

In the US, we say it is in "series"

Your joking ...of course.....

Surely "series" is series anywhere in the world as is "parallel".

"Series" is end to end in a line with opposite ends connected together and "parallel" is side by side with the same ends connected together...."anti-parallel" is just side by side but with opposite ends connected together.

Last edited:

Attachments

• SCR.gif
    SCR.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 738
I don't think brownout is not talking about the definitions of parallel, anti-parallel, or series. He's talking about the specific way that two SCRs are connected to make a triac, and that alone.:
File:Thyristor.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is in fact, neither anti-parallel, parallel, nor series. Everyone is just too lazy to actually describe it accurately in words.

Last edited:
It is in fact, neither anti-parallel, parallel, nor series. Everyone is just too lazy to actually describe it accurately in words.

I think you should read my post.!

Whats the point of posting a link to a single thyristor when the OP specifically asked a question relating to a text book he was reading regarding the meaning of anti-parallel.:confused:

The SCR's are connected in anti-parallel in the way I described, which is the standard convention for this method of connection.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I don't think brownout is not talking about the definitions of parallel, anti-parallel, or series. He's talking about the specific way that two SCRs are connected to make a triac, and that alone.:

How is he going to connect two SCRs in series to make a triac?

I think you should read my thread.!

How did it become your thread?

OK, I have a confession to make; I didn't read this thread very carefully. Sorry, I'm usually pretty fastidious when I go through these. I blame the Alabama heat for my lack of attention span. I've never heard an Engineer in the US use that term before. I've only seen it on this forum. But that might be because I've only done digital logic design for the last 14 years. The last time I held an SCR was when I was an Engineering Technician, back in the 80's.

Last edited:
How did it become your thread?

OK, I have a confession to make; I didn't read this thread very carefully. Sorry, I'm usually pretty fastidious when I go through these. I blame the Alabama heat for my lack of attention span. I've never heard an Engineer in the US use that term before. I've only seen it on this forum. But that might be because I've only done digital logic design for the last 14 years. The last time I held an SCR was when I was an Engineering Technician, back in the 80's.

Hi,:)
I did hijack the thread....:rolleyes: of course I meant post.

I was miffed at being called 'lazy'.. dont mind being called an idiot, troll or whatever, but 'lazy' never.

Regards.

Heh! For awhile, I thought you had a thread on the subject. I wondered why you didn't just link it.

I guess languages are developed to be used and the meaning of words refers exactly to what they should say.

Just take the accurate word parallel: You could describe it with other words, e.g. side by side. But it makes no sense in electronics. Two resistors side by side could be wired in series or parallel.

Call me being lazy, but that way everybody knows exactly how the resistors are connected - parallel in that particular case. :D

I was miffed at being called 'lazy'.. dont mind being called an idiot, troll or whatever, but 'lazy' never.

Regards.

With me it's just the other way round. Call me lazy which won't bother me, but I get pretty upset being called an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back