Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a good book for basic electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I try to study electronics, but frankly i just cant find enough and complete enough information in one spot. So, i am asking what should I read (book, website, Ebook, Etc) that would teach me more than what I already know? I need somthing somwhere between beginner and intermediate. any help would help!

I didn't read the above thread, though I'll get around to it. But a good book in my opinion is the Electronics for Dummies book (I know...its sad) I feel so stupid buying those book, they just sound so un professional but they are really good at explaining stuff and the electronics book is no exception. I really enjoyed it and I still use it to reference things quite frequently (stuff like numbering system for ceramic capacitors). Another pretty good book is Basic Electronics Theory by Delton T. Horn, the only thing I don't like about this book is that it reads more like a text book and is a very dry book but its really good information wise.

Tab electronics "Understanding Electricity and Electronics".

It will have you designing circuits in no time, and actually understanding what is going on.

The Art Of Electronics, 2nd. ed., P. Horowitz and W. Hill, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1989.

I am not sure the book is still in print, but I have seen new copies still advertised. For me, it provides a good mixture of theory and practice without an overwhelming amount of math. It includes digital, but unfortunately, has become dated in that area. A lot of people were hoping for a 3rd edition, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Having a little beginning knowledge, such as from the RadioShack series of books by Forrest Mims, is probably an advantage before starting Horowitz and Hill. John

I would suggest Art Of Electronics too. Although it does not cover cutting edge technologies, it is very practical and intuitive.
Also, "Electronic Devices and Circuits 4th ed" by David A. Bell, ISBN: 0-9683705-4-3 is good. At least I liked it. Although it covers only the analog electronics.
At university we used Sedra&Smith's "Microelectronic Circuits" but I never really liked this book cause it has to much details, no summaries, and it didn't emphasize what aspects are important.

I started with the ARRL handbook. It's changed a lot since my first 1954 copy, but it helped me a lot.

mneary said:
I started with the ARRL handbook. It's changed a lot since my first 1954 copy, but it helped me a lot.

EVERYONE on here should have at least one copy of either the ARRL or RSGB handbooks, they are such useful books! - doesn't have to be a current one, even an older one is fine.

Very good series from the Navy. **broken link removed**

All those books mentioned in this thread are good but my favorite book is "Introduction To Basic Electronics Hands-on Mini Course" by Greg Carpenter . I think it's a very good material for newbies but also to referesh some stuff for the more experienced ones.
[MODNOTE]Own site promotion is against the rules. After 25 posts you can add it to your signature[/MODNOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back