Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does this symbol mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_ReL@X!

I would like to know what that L1 symbol means. In the list of materials it is called "Common-mode line filter". How do I construct it? :?:

Attachments

• whatisl1.jpg
    whatisl1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 653
the reason i asked was i wanted to get an idea how big it was..
it might be also called a RF Choke...

In theory, you could wind one yourself, but you have to be careful. If you want a small size it will involve using a small core. This means possibly having windings in very close proximity, with an insulation failure resulting in a direct short across the mains. This is why many common mode filter coils are wound on separate bobbins, on the same core. You can find lots of coil winding information on the internet, but the effort and cost of getting the parts may not be worth it.

Many companies make what you need. One of the bigger firms is Corcom.
Their products include all the other filter parts, including the capacitors, MOV's, shielding, safety ratings, etc. They sell through most of the electronic parts distributers.

Here is a link to their verision of what you are looking for: http://www.corcom.com/catalog/filters/B/Default.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back