Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does a splitter do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phut

If I get a cable splitter in my dorm, and install it on the cable line that comes into our dorm, will I be able to watch a different channel than my roommate? Or will we be stuck with two televisions that have the same thing on them all of the time? Basic cable costs are covered with the dorm, but there is only one line in each dorm.

The signal from cable tv is decoded by the set top box. The cable has the potential to transmit any data sent to it. so by splitting the cable, you need only to add a decoder box to be able to choose your own channel. the only thing to watch, is that you do not have any loss of signal when you split - otherwise you may need a amp to boost the signal. Especially when using long runs of cable.

Have fun and good luck

Yep, Squintz is correct, just add the splitter, and if you only have the 2 tv's it'll be fine, the only time you need an amp is when you have 3 or more tv's running from the same cable line (learned that when installing 3 tv's and a cable modem)

Most homes use regular splitters bought from store shelves (or produced by a company that supplies the local cable company which is just the same) to split the line, and they work just fine.

Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly! Now I know that all I have to do is save money to buy a little TV and a splitter. I just didn't want to buy the TV if I couldn't watch separate stations than my roommate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back