Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does a capacitor do , exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampyre1000101

edit: Looks like I'm not suppost to post in this forum, sorry. Cant figure out how to delete or move the post.

Ok so I've built up a few electronic kits , played with microcontrollers and digital circuts, but my basic understanding of electronic components is lacking. I have read a lot of stuff on this but I'm a little dense.

Here's my questions.

Does the voltage of a cap matter that much? Can I 'fill up' a 16volt with 2 volts? or will the capacitor top out and stop taking charge at 2 volts?

OR, does the voltage listed for the capacitor instead represent the voltage at which it will discharge? Or am I just completely confused all together??:confused:

I'm trying to understand solar engines for beam robotics, and super caps for LED flashlights. any simple english for dummies type reply is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
vampyre1000101 said:
Does the voltage of a cap matter that much?
Yes, if you put a voltage across the capacitor which is greater than the rated voltage written on the side of the capacitor, the capacitor will be damaged. At the worst it will go BANG!!

vampyre1000101 said:
Can I 'fill up' a 16volt with 2 volts? or will the capacitor top out and stop taking charge at 2 volts?
If you charge up a capacitor to 2 volts, you have a capacitor which is charged to 2 volts. It will not magically give 16 volts.

vampyre1000101 said:
OR, does the voltage listed for the capacitor instead represent the voltage at which it will discharge? Or am I just completely confused all together??
Yes you are confused!
When you discharge the capacitor which we just charged from a 2 volt supply, the voltage from the capacitor will start at 2volts and drop exponentially to 0 volts (not mathematically correct, but this is the very simplified description).

JimB

JimB said:
When you discharge the capacitor which we just charged from a 2 volt supply, the voltage from the capacitor will start at 2volts and drop exponentially to 0 volts (not mathematically correct, but this is the very simplified description).

JimB

Now I'm confused too. Why would the voltage not drop exponentially?

eblc1388 said:
Now I'm confused too. Why would the voltage not drop exponentially?

Yes the voltage drops exponentially.
But, mathematically it never reaches zero.
Practically, yes it does reach zero, as near as makes no difference.

JimB

Yeah, a 450v rated capacitor I took from my old monitor which had been left for about 6 months (so it must be fully discharged) was found to have 4mV or so in it. But for any sensible application this doesn't matter.

Dr.EM said:
Yeah, a 450v rated capacitor I took from my old monitor which had been left for about 6 months (so it must be fully discharged) was found to have 4mV or so in it. But for any sensible application this doesn't matter.

The final anode and aquadag of a CRT form the two plates of a capacitor, and these can stay charged for years!! :D

Ok so how do you fill them up?

Cool, I wasn't as confused as I thought I was. So here's another question. How do you go about filling up a high voltage capacitor with a small 1.5 volt battery? Like a flash in a camera does?

Normally its done with a small inverter transformer and possibly a voltage multiplier :). I would recommend looking into basic tutorials on transformers and that should hopefully help you out.

There are a couple of other things to consider. For example if the capacitor is charged with a constant current source the voltage across the capacitor will rise at a linear rate and not exponentially. On the same hand if the
capacitor is discharged by a constant current load the voltage will also decrease at linear rate.

The true diffination of the function of a capacitor is a device that opposes the change of voltage across it. So it charges and discharges to maintain
the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back